• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways Pilot Recruitment Nework!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to be a jackass here, but going from Capt of a CRJ to Capt of a 330........I'm sorry but it doesn't feel right.

There is a huge gap between domestic RJ to a widebody International operations.

At least EK has a fast track command where you go as a FO for 18 months even though you have tons of experience on widebody and international and then upgrade as a Captain.

I wouldn't feel comfortable flying with somebody brand new on the plane, brand new on the network and brand new in the company/country. it's too much of "brand new"!!!!

To come back to the original thread, PLEASE make sure you do your homework before joining QR. I agree that it all depends what are your goals for your career and your family but do a minimum of research before making any move.

It could be a decent job for a single guy but think twice before moving the whole family to Doha. Qatar ain't no Dubai.............

The job is good as soon as you're off the gate but your private life will be a total misery. You basically need authorization from the company to do anything.

You want to leave the country on your days off, you need to ask permission to the company first, you want to get married with a cabin crew, you need to ask permission to the CEO!!!! You have to wear the hat while doing the preflight or you will get a warning letter.

everything works with a reprimand system and everybody is stabing everybody else's back, Cabin Crew reporting pilots eating First Class meals or resting in a First Class seat on Ultra Long Haul.....

I am sorry but this is the reality ( coming from good friends of mine working there, so no PPrune Bul$$hit here)

If you think you will be stuck at a regional forever and feel the need to fly something bigger and do international ops, then going to QR could be a good career move. Equipment is fine, pilot group pretty good but be aware that the lifestyle in this company will not be easy nor glamorous.

Whatever you decide to do, explore all the other options before going to QR. The Shiny Jet Syndrome could affect you as well............

First officers without a rating on the aircraft types we fly must have the following minimum experience, A total of 2000 flying hours of which 500 hours shall be on jets and below 45 years of age.

Those are the minimums if you don't have a type. As long as you have 2000TT and just 500 on jets, you're qualified to apply. Whether or not that's competitive, who knows. But give it a shot anyway.

Listen flying the CRJ 5 legs a day, shooting CAT2 approaches down to mins withought auto thrust, flying under adverse weather in usa. Its a cake transition to wide body airbus, training was a joke and thats airbus ops, flying is much easier one take off and if between 9 hours of flight destination weather goes below auto land. This is a very touchy subject but belive me many pilots have made this transtion to a wide body withought any hassel and frankly speaking those pilots are much more safe and cautious then someone been flying the wide body for ever and got so lazy and used to the automation. I am not trying to get in pissing match here but just to make a point that CRJ drivers are as much cabable of flying the left seat of wide body.

Qatar are you crazy! The US airline industry is a dream. Endless opportunities and zero risk of furlough.

I heard from a buddy of mine that the majors will hire next year... and those guys make $400,000 a year. Also heard that the pensions are coming back do to the huge pilot shortage.

Hey Bull,

What is the inflation like in Doha compared to pricey Dubai? Is Doha boring or does it have some nightlife? What do Americans do for fun there on the weekend or during their time off? Speaking of time off, how much time off do you get on average per month on the A330?

For those of you who are really interested and want a look at what operations are like at Qatari, you might want to check this out (I just found it on the web - you can probably find it cheaper on Ebay):

http://www.worldairroutes.com/Qatar.html

330 fleet destinations are the best ones in the airlines for the next few years until 777 takes over and then slowly merge between the 787 and 350s. 330 covers pretty much everything, far east, middle east, europe, asia, north america. You get about 10 days off average a month since most flight leave at midnight from doha so that whole day is not considered off but called no duty day, if you want to think as day off then you get about 14. Most layovers are more then 24 hours, some are up to 5 days e.g Maldives, Joberg, etc. Many fligh deck crews take their family on long layovers and make it a mini vacation. I have posted the add under foreign carriers and regionals so please read those threads and you my find your answer there. There are few bars and few dance clubs but most people have liquor license and drink during gatherings at home. Rest realy enjoy the layovers and kind of stay low in Doha:) Also that video is pretty old, now they have probaby twice as many buildings on the lake and aircraft cabin have changed to some new state of the art desing. Things change here a lot, money is not an issue, every 3 years they get a new bird to fly and give the old back. Hardly any MEL to work with.

Mins are 2000 hours total time , 500 hours jet glass cockpit. If your total is less and you have more then 500 Jet time they will consider you. They do want full ATPL but if you don't have one at the time of interview, if hired you must provide full ATPL.

Thanks for all of the good information. I am sure a bunch of USAirways, Spirit, UAL and Frontier Airbus pilots are looking at Qatar.

Just curious - what would enable someone to qualify for A330 vs. A320/21 at Qatar? Do the FO positions pay the same? Is it need on that fleet at the time or is there some additional experience required for A330?

I have been to Doha several times - nice town. It is definitely quieter than Dubai and it is starting to grow faster as the money pours in.

Mins are 2000 hours total time , 500 hours jet glass cockpit. If your total is less and you have more then 500 Jet time they will consider you. They do want full ATPL but if you don't have one at the time of interview, if hired you must provide full ATPL.

Well, then I might just stand a chance.

Latest resources

Back