• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways Pilot Recruitment Nework!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skymark is for 737 type rated only right now, and they go through recruiters, if I'm not mistaken wasinc was one of them, or Rishworth.

Does Qatar convert FAA licenses to JAA for the pilots? Or how does that work?

I'm assuming it doesn't work. Qatar is not a JAA member state and hence does not require a JAA ticket. They probably (am assuming) convert your current license to a Qatari national one. FAA seems to be working just fine there. Seems to be plenty of folks that have been hired there with an FAA license.

Hi!

Based on what I did in Kenya, and what I have learned: Probably all the JAA and FAA guys (along with all the other ICAO-non-JAA guys) convert their license to a Qatari license by passing the Air Law Exam, which is not too difficult. Most ICAO countries require you to pass the Air Law to get convert your license, to whatever the local license is.

In Kenya, they changed the rules this year: Passing the Air Law will only get you a 90 day Validation of your license (and they will only give you 90 days, max, and only ONE Validation), and then you need to pass the Conversion Exam, which is an exam that pulls questions from all 14? areas of the typical CAA question bank (based on the British CAA questions)...one website showed 24,000 questions in the data bank.

Additionally, East Africa is now re-consolidating, kind of like the EU. So, if you have a Tanzanian, Burundian, Ugandan, or Rwandan license, you can easily convert it to Kenyan, and vice-versa...do not know if you even need to take the Air Law, or not. Sounds like eventually they will have just one East African CAA, and one passport.

An FAA license is easily convertable to any ICAO nation license (and to Canadian). The only problem is converting an FAA license to JAA, which is a nightmare. Then, you need a work permit for the local country. If an airline, or aviation organization wants you to have a local work permit, they will get you one, no problems. If you are trying to do it as an individual, that is another story, and may be immpossible.

cliff
NBO

Latest resources

Back