Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

808pilot

user being used
Anyone have any good insight on Qantas link? more from the pilots perspective.....i met with a recruiter if you will who came to talk about Qantas for all us Aloha guys/gals....sounded good, it always does....i just don't want to get involved with something if the locals down there view it in a bad light...(ie MESA)....

Off the top of my head I think there are about 4-5 Qantaslink carriers. Apart from NJS which has the 717 contract, they all fly Q400's, the regular flavour Dashes and I'm pretty sure the 146.

Starting pay is $62k at NJS (B-Scale) and works down to about $30k something, depending on what company you work for.

Also, you'll be required to pay for your type, which is running at about $12k or with NJS you'll be bonded for 3 years at a cost of $30k.

Remember tax is a lot higher than it is in the US as is the general cost of living.

If QF start putting foreign pilots into Qantaslink, I'm pretty sure there'll be a $hitstorm of astronomic proportions. There are still a lot of Australians that have a bad taste left over from when the America West guys brought their aircraft down and crossed the Ansett picket line.

There are plenty of Aussies that would gladly go back if the money wasn't so bad.....

thanks for the heads up...i'm somewhat aware of how life is down there...i studied at a uni on the gold coast during college for a semester....
in regards to what the guy was telling us.....

a lot of the dash pilots were getting picked up by qantas so they have a demand for FOs....in terms of converting ratings and work permits i would get put through the ringer....i would have to get through all of the interview process first then they would have me come down for 2-3 months and study for the tests on their dime (they said they would pay me during that time and help us pass the tests)....basically, i would be considered hired on the basis that i pass the tests and sim check out....they would also act as a sponser to help get a work visa.....
this is a rough break down...he did say that nothing is certain, but out of all the guys that were there from Aloha, myself and a couple of others were the only ones with dash time as well as low time that would not qualify us for some of the the other jet positions (ie jetstar, jet connect)....so he seemed pretty interested in our interest.....
i have been wanting to get back down there for years....this is a long shot, but i don't want to be "that guy" down there....
again, he was pouring the koolaid, i am asking you guys if its sour.......aloha

QF are seriously short of FO's on the "Link" side but there are lot of guys that have paid their dues flying around the bush or even taking their lives in their hands, flying in New Guinea. If Qantaslink paid anything close to a liveable wage, they'd have a lot more applicants.

As far as the conversion of your license is concerned be very careful. If they take the road of having you only do the conversion exams and not all the ATPL exams, you'll run into problems; Jetstar and Virgin Blue do not accept converted licenses from FAA pilots. JAR yes, FAA no.

Also, like I said before, once Australian pilots get wind of QF sponsoring foreign pilots for jobs that there are plenty of Aussies willing to do, just not for the money, things will probably get ugly. Australians may well be known for being a laid-back and easy going people but they can be a vindictive bunch of self-righteous wankers if they feel they've been shafted.

It's like everything else; pro's and con's. I'd love to go back but it's become a very expensive country to live in and property prices have gone through the roof. I know you guys in Hawaii have been screwed but good luck with everything.

thats good to know.....sounds like there is opportunity there, just really have to choose wisely....its not exactly cheap living here either...in fact compared to what i was making, link would be a step up...pretty sad huh....

Hi Kenny! Long time no hear - I sent you my sched, right? Call me in SFO on my next transpac. FWIW, Jet* are offering about 80 Japies F/O slots on the A320/319 WITH OZZIE RESIDENT VISAS as part of the package.

Kenny - tell 'em what a Japie is...

Japie, Yarpie or Jarpie,

I'm confused as to which one it is but as far as I can work out it's either someone with an enlarged tehno-gland and a penchant for industrial sized burgers, served in Disco Bay or just a bloody Souf Efrican.

Check the PM's mate..

Latest resources

Back