• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Q for SWA Pool Rats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We certainly don't need to be restraining any more water. There's enough around here as it is. :)

Monthly Update

Hey Poolies,

I checked in yesterday for my monthly howyadoin with the People Department...no new intell. LL said no classes in August, I'm a "handful" of classes away from being called to training, and expect to be called in 2003 (Currently, I'm number 60 on this forum's list). She also said the number of pilots SWA wanted to hire this year was 250 and they had hired about 200 so far. I was also informed that if you turn down a class more than once because you're not available (ie you extended on active duty and a class suddenly became available), you're dropped from the pool and have to start over. Anyone know about this? I was thinking about extending my retirement to the end of the year, but this puts a new twist on things. I guess I'll press on with my retirement and look for the number of that truck driver school. Anybody know that number, by the way? :rolleyes:
Happy to be here, though. Take care. :cool:

T-6 Sim IPs needed at Moody

SentryIP,
When I get back from the Desert I'll try to get you a job at the T-6 Sim at Moody.
Just let me know.

Last edited:
"I was also informed that if you turn down a class more than once because you're not available (ie you extended on active duty and a class suddenly became available), you're dropped from the pool and have to start over."

Sentry,

Are you saying that Lindsey told you this? When I was there in late July for my type (pre-hire), Jennifer Bauer told us that we should stay gainfully employed and not quit our current job until we get more positive news from Southwest about training dates. The only way I can do that is to extend. I hope it wasn't LL that said it.

Last edited:
Jobs

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I'll need to maintain a steady paycheck starting November. Ever hear the expression that goes, "...champagne taste...beer budget" or something like that? Take care y'all.

:cool:

Latest Info

Aplus9,

That's correct. Unless I grossly misunderstood, that's what was said. I didn't like what I heard, either. Take care.

Last edited:
My $.02, I believe it has been a standing order for a long time that if SWA called you with a class date and you turn it down that they would call you for the next class. If you turned that one down also you were in deep sh&* with them and might not get called again. However, there is a simple solution to this -- If you know you are going to extend your retirement, stay where you are until umpty-umpty date, or you just enjoy the temperature of the pool; call them and update your date of availability. This way they will not call you for a class and you don't get any darts thrown in you employment balloon. The key to this thing is don't turn down a class when they call you for one. If you tell them you are not available until a later date they won't call you and you are not in trouble.

I know all this from experience. If you have further questions about this send me a PM.

Bake

Latest resources

Back