• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Pvt airports section vs terminal chart

hotwings402

Total Time
Had a good question from a student.....Why are there private airports on the terminal chart that are'nt on the sectional for the same area? I was'nt sure I'd say it was from scale. Also correct me if I'm wrong but private airports are not surveyed in any way they are just "added" if the owner calls up and gives the FAA/NOAA the lengths etc right? Also where are there a directory of private airports?

viper548

Total Time
is the sectional chart really cluttered in the area of the private airport?

Gutenberg

Total Time
It's clutter. They also show runways less than 8069' with the "strip" layout instead of inside the circle symbol. Even some of the private turf runways.

MauleSkinner

Total Time
hotwings402 said:
Also correct me if I'm wrong but private airports are not surveyed in any way they are just "added" if the owner calls up and gives the FAA/NOAA the lengths etc right?

When I checked into it a few years ago, the FAA guy that I talked to said you had to submit information showing that, among other things, it met the 20:1 obstacle criteria for a VFR airport.

Fly safe!

David