pulling engines on a multi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

highflying

I am an MEI and havent been teaching in a Multi lately. Will someone refresh my memory and tell me what method they use for pulling engines. For example when do you pull the throttle, Mixture, Prop, cut the fuel? Any info to refresh the memory would be good

A few points that always kept me safe while teaching multi and I thought was very effective in the teaching process.

- In multi-training, never surprise your student or they will surprise you.
- no need to pull mixture to simulate an engine failure, I always used throttle. You never know when you will need that power.
- I always demonstrated an engine shutdown in flight (power,prop,mixture). Always above 3000' and let your student fly around a bit so as to get the feel of real single engine flight with a fully feathered prop and to gain some confidence.
- I can't emphasize enough giving you student a good briefing before you lesson on what you plan on doing and what you plan on accomplishing. This will keep it safe. Pulling the mixture after rotation at 300' with a novice multi-engine pilot and watching to see if he screws up may be hazardous to your health.
Keep it safe.

I pull only the throttle from 500 to 3000 AGL. Above that I'll sometimes use the mixture and will usually perform the full shutdown above 4000.

It's pretty standard to only pull the mixture above 3000' AGL. Below that use throttle, and then set up zero thrust yourself by stopping the student's hand at the detent of the prop as they pull it to feather.

The students hands are on the throttles for takeoff so I'll pull a mixture on the runway but always am prepared to pull the other one back too if the student doesn't react or reacts too slow. (I do let them know it's coming too.)

I use the throttle at lower altitudes and the fuel selector at higher altitudes.

Be safety conscious, think about what you are doing ahead of time, know your airplane and how it will react, and don't freak out your student. Teach them that sudden reactions often result in bad sudden results.

This is the most important advice I could give anyone.

Simulate an emergency don't create one.

Ask 10 CFI’s get 10 answers. Most would agree with the advice given thus far.

…stopping the student's hand at the detent of the prop as they pull it to feather.

I let the student pull the props all the way into detent. This allows the student to get used to doing exactly what they should. You have enough time to put the props fwd before the prop feathers. There have been several accidents caused by pilots NOT feathering the prop due this instruction technique.

Runway - Mixture only. If the student does not immediately pull throttles back pull the other mixture. Ensure you have your foot on the proper rudder in case the student fails to react. I would not simulate this emergency above 20-25 kts.

Below 3k ft. – Throttle

Below 3-5k ft – Mixture

Above 5k ft – Fuel Selector

Remember proper application of zero thrust, especially in the pattern.

Have fun.
JB2k

Latest resources

Back