Puerto Vallarta Arrival Procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

grumman38

First time into MMPR, it will be a day arrival, what can I expect for the route and arrival procedures, departures.Are the controllers easy to understand? Thanks Guys!

I was just there last weekend...after MZT (mazatlan) we got the DME arc to rwy 20 (the southerly rwy, don't remember the #). We were number 5 on the approach, and were given the full approach while others in front of us were given vectors to final. ATC seemed to be pretty good, slowing us down early enough to avoid holding. On departure we got a turn to intercept the airway, as opposed to flying the full arc departure.

Ground ops down there can be a bit of a cluster...narrow taxi way back to the FBO, and they may guide you to the end of the cul-de-sac type ramp area. They get you hooked up to a tug and pushed back to the perimeter pretty quickly, so getting out wasn't a problem. Customs isn't near as easy there as it is in Cabo, you've got to go to an entirely different part of the airport to get your immigration (?) papers stamped and approved. We had a last minute destination change, and it almost cost us 2-3 hours delay as the customs agents claimed they were too busy to stamp our new paperwork. I guess the original paperwork had already been stamped. Fortunately, our handler was willing to put up a good fight and we drove over to the customs office at the airline terminal where he convinced an agent to come back to the GA side to help us out.

Hope that helps, and I hope you get to stay longer than we did!

T

Coming from Nuevo Laredo expect to arrive over TEPIC VOR. Almost always landing SW. IFR expect VOR approach to fly the arc. High MEAs can make it hard to go down and slow down in some a/c but you should be okay in a small jet. Good runway; bright VASI; often large birds on short final but usually below you; controllers experienced and speak good English.

PVR is on the southern edge of a large valley. If you need to maneuver VFR for some reason do it on the north side, especially if at night, as high terrain is to the south.

Good fast food across the foot bridge. Price has gone up recently on fish tacos but they are good and big.

on arrival from MZT the dme arc palces you at 7,000msl. The track arcs right over the north rim of the valley with peaks as high as 5,800-6,200msl (don't recall 100% but it's close!). DON'T MISS YOUR ALTITUDE!

pvr has one runway but unlike cabo it also has a taxiway. I fly the commercial side so I can't help with GA, but in mexico remember to initiate your own descent as ATC usually won't give you lower until you ask. It's very scenic and you'll depart straight over the bay on a west-bound departure. Enjoy!

Great Info!

Am I missing something? I heard references to the vor app and arc but didn't see any published approaches for MMPR.

You are correct. there are no ILS/LOC approaches, at least not in our jepps, just the arcs to several VOR appchs. My experiences invlove the BLASK transition inbound from MZT for the VOR DME 2 Rwy 22. My memory was a bit inaccurate as the highest point on the 15DME arc to the NW is 4,659. Not 5,000.

Coming from LRD, pretty much what everyone else here has said. The VOR/DME 2 to 22.....intercept the arc and come around. Going back home via LRD, we get the Varta Two Bravo departure with what I believe is the Tepic transition. Have fun.

If you have never been to PVR before make sure you look at the VOR approach a couple of times. The intersection TOERO? can be deceiving, its kinda tucked up in the corner and the scale distance doesnt quite jive. If you have the possibility to put user waypoints in your gps/ins or whatever you use. I would highly suggest putting the 2 DME mileage points that require turns. I dont have the plate at my house so I dont remember the exact WP but when you look, you will understand. That arrival will take you down between 2 large hills (or small mountains ..if you want to call em that) and ATC will sometimes ask you to go direct to the DME fix if able. You may want to consider slowing down early going in there since the step down can happen kinda quick.

If you go in before 10AM it is usually hazy and you probably wont pick up the airport till about 2 miles out, but the river in the valley pretty much runs right to the airport. If you look out the left side about half way down the valley you can see a Mexican prison. There is also a visual illusion associated with that airport. Chances are you will come in a little high.

On departue, you will proabaly get the dep that goes out over the water and makes a procedure turn to come back over the airport VOR. Its a nice lazy turn and you get a good view of the resort area. You can ask for a visual climb on course so you wont have to do the entire turn but I dont know if they will give to private a/c. If you are like me, the first thing I am asking for is direct to anywhere. PVR is usually accomidating...if memory serves they will give you at least direct to Tepic.

Food

If you get to stay go across the foot-bridge to the little corn-tortilla factory. Buy a half-dozen right off the grill for about 25 cents and enjoy.....

Consider routing over MZT in stead of TNY (Tepic) The usual route from the US includes TNY. It is the inland route and takes you over the mountains. There are always clouds and the ride is usually bumpy. If you ask to go over MZT, it takes to the coast line and gets a smoother ride. The route is only 2nm longer.

If you use TNY to VOR B to RWY 20?, it is an easy dog-leg to join the approach. Look at the terrain clearance to the approaches with the step-down fixes. The Arc takes you over the highest points of the terrain for the step downs! Don't be shy about slowing the airplane and configuring. You will need it from the final approach fix to MDA and landing if coming from the north.

Do MZT and follow the coast around for a smoother ride and an easy left base landing North or a nice right down wind to land south.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back