Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

averyrm

Why not!??
I was wondering if getting into a major airline is difficult to do without having prior 121 experience. I realize that right now even not being furloughed is a plus, but I'm asking about hiring in slightly better times. Basically what I'm asking is if someone who's flown for a regional has a much better chance of being hired into a major than a pt. 135 freight dog with DC-3 and DA-20 time as the largest equipment.

Thanks for your help

Well I can say I have had personal experience working with pilots at my company (part 135) which only had cargo time and got hired at Southwest, not to mention a few others.

It seems Southwest especially likes pilots from cargo and corporate, not disquallifying this aspect of our profession, as many of the majors partake in.

Good luck!
Squirreldog

It really doesn't matter where you get your time. It is all a numbers game. The reason why there are so many commuter guys at the majors is because there are so many commuter guys applying. The number of 135/corporate guys going to the majors is very low in comparison just because there a so few of us applying. When I flew 135 bizjets we had a bunch go on to AA, NW, DL, UA and Southwest. Good luck.

Southwest has a policy of interviewing all qualified applicants. I guess more qualified get called first. I've known several Pt 135 cargo pilots that have gone to Southwest and are quite happy. Some of these people never flew anything larger than a Be-99.

Cargo guys

I have only P135 experience as a frieght dog. Flown DA-20 for quite a while. And as far as I can judge it did not stop them from offering me a job.

For some reason, AirTran strongly prefers pilots with previous 121 PIC time.

As a former 135 jet guy, I wish they would come around; been trying to help out a few 135 guys with great jet PIC time, but so far, no dice.

Hopefully, this will change.

I agree with delurry. I have been a freight dog my entire career (135 and 121) and I don't think it has hurt me one bit. Get your time up to a competitive level and apply. There isn't a major out there that has a "Commuter/Regional Flight Time" requirement.

Latest resources

Back