PSA-Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Biggie

Little help here please, got a few questions about both companies.
1. Hiring outlooks and pay scales.
2. Average days on/off per bid period.
3. Ability to get CVG/DAY domiciles.
4. Upgrade times.
I've find out a little info about both PSA and Mesaba, but l'd like some inside info.

Thanx,
Biggie

(I am a minister of death praying for war!)

Regarding Mesaba......

1. Hiring is nil since 9/11. We still have about 10 pilots on furlough that were in class during September. the company has been plucking one or two a month to fill in the Avro. As much as I hate to say, I don't see Mesaba hiring for a while due to numerous circumstances.

2. Mesaba schedules, however, are very good. The Saab schedules are great averaging 14-19 days off for FOs and 14-20 days off for CAs. Mesaba is pro commuting and has a good commuting policy. Allow at least 2 Northwest/Mesaba flights to get to work. Otherwise, if you can't make it, you don't get paid for the trips and no other harm done. A reserve is assigned your trip.

3. CVG is an AVRO only domicile. For FO newhires, it is(was) a common place to go so I think it is a fairly junior base. But I can't say much about CVG since I'm a Saab dude. DAY is not a domicile in our system, but we do fly there (to DTW and MSP our other domiciles). You live in this area I take it? Probably be an easy commute for you.

4. Upgrade times?? hmmm... pre 9/11 for Saab it was 2 to 2.5 years. plus or minus a few months. It went as junior as 1.5 years. For AVRO, not exactly sure, but 2-3 years. Some real junior pilots were able to take the upgrade in 1 year, but that meant sitting on the bottom for a long time. But I guess if you're young single with no attachments, then there's really nothing to lose.

Another issue at stake is Mesaba pilots are currently under contract negotiations. Our amendable date is next month (June), and very little progress has been made. (typical) Alot of things are affecting it. NWA has ordered 200 or so CRJs. Express I/Pinnacle airlines, the other Northwest Airlink, is receiving a good share of them while we, Mesaba, are still bidding for a good chunk. In the mean time, NWA is slowly shrinking us and growing Express with the CRJs. I could tell you to go to Express if you want the easy "jet" time, but you should do your homework on Express if you haven't.

Mesaba's current contract dates back to 1996. Mesaba was THE place to work from '97-'99. Our contract is no longer as current as Air wisconsin, Comair or ACA. But we're fighting to raise the bar. Once we get a contract, we will hire and grow again. It's a great place to work, despite the circumstances of 9/11 and NWA shrinking us. It's all business and airline whipsaw but we'll be back. We hope to be the place to work again.

Last edited:
say those days off again?

Not doubting you at all, just want to make sure you meant days off, not on.
That's a bunch(19,20) and that's awesome. I need to commute to a guard job and that's the number one thing on my list.
Also, how long on reserve in the saab, and how senior to have to ge those kind of days off.
Oh yeah, still not hiring anyway. Oh well

I say again...

I will only generalize because every month schedules change, especially from summer to winter, and every domicile and equipment varies. But yes, you can see days OFF anywhere from 12-20. The more important thing is where you are based and which aircraft (Saab or AVRO). The Saab schedules have always been historically better than the AVRO. However, the AVRO is very senior on the captain side. Many AVRO CAs here are staying here for retirement.

Pre 9/11, (in the saab) you would've have expected to sit reserve maybe 6-8 months? before picking up a line (12-14 days off). I have been here over 2 years and commute from the west coast and get 14-17 days off. I think the movement on the AVRO side is a bit slower because of the seniority.

For example, next month schedules (June) historically have always been lower on the days off mainly due to the pick up of summer travel. But July and August improve. That's why I say I can get 14 to 17 off. CAs in some cases can get 19-20 days OFF. And that is great for commuting.

Hang in there. Not sure if Mesaba HR is taking resumes/apps even to just file, but wouldn't hurt to look into. If you're still looking for a regional job in a year or two, look us up. Things will be better around here. We should have a great contract and hopefully CRJs on property.

Thanx for the info, dude. Right now jet time isn't a problem for me as I'm about to upgrade in the -135R, and I'm lucky to get 30-40 hrs/month. I hear good things about Mesaba, though.
If I can just get a PSA guy to respond........
(and you're right , I live in CMH!)

Biggie,

I'm not a PSA pilot and I don't know any specifics about the actual working conditions there, but I would be careful looking for employment at any of the USAirways wholly owned carriers. Think Comair, ASA, & ACA as these carriers seem to be doing better than others. Comair and ACA have CVG bases as well. Just my two cents. Good luck with the upgrade!

Thanx again, but do you mean ASA as opposed to ACA? Just wonderin'. Besides, that's the beauty of the Guard, I've always got it to fall back on.

Avoid PSA like the plague. they are having major problems with mainline right now. Great airplane though, but the contract is a concessionary piece of crap.

Also, the earlier poster was right, ACA has a DorkJet base in Cinci as well as Comair's main hub.

if you live in OH are you considering comair? obviously the major player in OH, i would think that would be a logical choice. they would love a guy with your experience

mesaba dudes...i hear a lot about your great schedules, but how much do they block? last i heard they were in the low 70's. kind of hard to enjoy 18 days off a month if you aren't getting paid squat. just curious, and wondering if the situation has changed.

has avro tng finally shifted to MSP?

Well actually now at Mesaba the block time is starting to come back up to normal 82-88 credit, but yea the days off are starting to dwindle down. Over the winter we were getting great days off but with only guarantee pay (75 hours). You win some you lose some.

The captain lines are still low on credit, but the FO lines have picked up again. But even pre 9/11, I'd say our schedules were among the best for a regional carrier.

"has avro tng finally shifted to MSP?"

Not sure what you mean... lol it's a little early in the morning.

Latest resources

Back