PSA Airlines future growth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BeCareful,

It took you and I quite a bit of time to come to that realization. We heard the 5 year upgrade story a number of times. I even remember being pretty excited about a certain airline with a Buffalo on the tail after the furlough.

I hesitate to even MENTION the "Legacy Airlines" fiasco in Syracuse. (were you involved in that mess?) Talk about empty promises!!! Wow!

These young folks will learn in time, just as you and I have. The gods of aviation misfortune have a way of not leaving anyone out.

;)

Legacy - I remember that guy in the days following 911 he would hire any pilot who walked into the SYR or LGA airport with a resume.

I think he skipped town with the money.

Legacy

oh yeah man,

"Padre".

I was in one of the first interview groups -- in front of the USAir ticket counter in LaGuardia. Then I sat in on a group interview in Syracuse a few weeks later. There must've been 50 people there looking for work.

I think Padre' "hired" around 200 pilots. A whole BUNCH of furloughees from USAir. The deal was if you had a jet-type rating he would make you a Captain. If not, you'd be an F/O

He was going to have a grand-piano at every gate and, if flights were delayed, he would cater meals for the pax from a local deli. Every crew would be sent to "boot-camp" after getting hired for Legacy's own brand of security training.

He had a nice wooden model in Legacy paint and a fairly impressive website. After a while he would have weekly chats on the website to give us updates. The airplane would be in Syracuse next week... just waiting for a paint job. More meetings with investors in NYC.

He even hired a USAir furloughee to be the chief pilot. We knew when Tu (the chief) left to go to ATA that the whole thing was a sham. A few commutair guys even drove up to Utica to see if Legacy's office was real. Apparently it was a vacant room in a bank or something.

Padre', supposedly got a little attention from the FBI for copying all of our licenses, medicals, and drivers licenses. Not sure what happened to him.

The point is this: When you're desperate you want to believe what anyone in a position of authority tells you. Whether it be a captain that you're flying with, the person on the other side of the interview-table, the CNN anchor, or the CLT chief pilot, we all want to hear someone who we perceive to be "in the know" giving us the info we want to hear.

Guys like BeCareful and LearLove can tell you the number of times they've heard the "hiring 30 pilots per month indefinately.... 5year upgrade...blah blah..." garbage.

We all believed it. Why not? It sounded fantastic! We like to believe that the choices we made were the right ones! It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback though.

Thats why I say that the young folks who are just starting out in the industry simply haven't had the benefit(?) of being screwed yet. Until then, they're going to believe the hype. Why not? It feels good to have someone tell you what you want to hear.

"A few commutair guys even drove up to Utica to see if Legacy's office was real. Apparently it was a vacant room in a bank or something."

If I remember it was a store front in a strip mall not far from the Utica airport just south of Rome, NY. I remember sitting in my apartment in SYR sometime late 2002 or early 2003 watching the evening news when they had a story about that guy skipping town with the cash. They showed the store fromt in the strip mall. The front door was metal framed glass with "Legacy Airlines" in sticker letters across the upper half. Below there was a mail slot and they panned the camera down to the bottom of the locked door show a 1 or 2 foot high heep of mail on the floor inside the mail slot. The newsman commented on something like "there was a pile of mail stacking up from prospective clients/customers". At this point I remember laughing really loud and wanting to call the local SYR news station that did the report and tell them that that pile of mail was most likely pilot resumes. The parting shot of the story was looking thru the glass door at an empty office about 20 by 30 foot with one desk and chair in the center twards the back and some old office wall dividers stacked against the back wall.

Thinking back about it now, remember the purple, green and white paint job they had for the 737 model/pics. It is the same paint sceme available on the Piper Maridan or Malibu. Guess that should have tipped us off from the start.

Last edited:
Legacy!! I'd forgotten........what a scam.

FurloughedAgain, you and I ought to start one of those smoke-and-mirror airlines; heck, we already know all the right lines! Let's see: $50 application fee times about 10,000 wannabees......would that leave us both enough to quit and wait for recall in 2012?

:)

RUhiring? said:
It's all true man!! I heard it straight from the CLT Chief Pilot

If you guys say "I said it" then I'm sure "I said it!"

I say everything you guys say "I said."

GET BACK TO WORK!

PSACPSP

PSAChiefPilots said:
If you guys say "I said it" then I'm sure "I said it!"

I say everything you guys say "I said."

GET BACK TO WORK!

PSACPSP

Yeah, Chief, but did you say it before we said you said it or are you saying it now that it's been said that you said it?

...who's on first....

Iceman21,

I'm not up on all of the latest GA airplane designators, but which one of those "Aircraft Flown" of yours is the one you got your multi rating in?

How much multi time do you have?

Just curious.

Latest resources

Back