• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Prospective employer contacting past employer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As everyone has stated, there are no laws (that I am aware of) precluding an employer from giving a bad reference to a potential employer. Most companies have a policy that precludes their HR from providing any other information besides Date of Hire, Position Title, Date of Termination of Employment (this does not mean they say you are terminated), Salary Info (if you give the past employer the right to tell this) and whether you would be available for re-hire. (however, some companies have a policy against re-hire, like Merrill Lynch for instance)

However, there are times when it IS necessary to give a bad reference. Let me explain.

A number of years ago, a previous employer did not reveal that a potential employee had been fired for embezzling. This person went to the new employer, and started doing the same thing. When he was caught, the new employer found out that the previous employer knew and sued them for not disclosing a pertinent fact and they won.

This also applies if employers know that someone is dangerous, i.e., terminated for hurting another employee. If it can be proven that management did not do a thorough background check, then the employee hurt by the other employee can collect damages from the company.

I think there are many companies that are badmouthing people just because they are upset that they left. That is ridiculous. So, if you are curious what a former employer is saying, then pay to have a reference check conducted. It does not have to be on every company you work for; just the companies that you might have a question about.

I just started offering background checks on my website from the top company in the business. The company is offering a 50% commission to me through March 1, 2005.

Here is the deal. If you decide to order from this company, write me an email at [email protected] and let me know. Provide me with your name, address, phone number, etc. When the company pays me the commission, I will send you 50% of what I receive. So, in effect, you will get a 25% discount off their price.

Understand, you can check out any reference company you want, however, I did my homework on these people and they are the best! I offer you the chance to do this from my website so that you can get the 25% discount.

You can visit my website by clicking on my company name in my signature.

Kathy

How strange is this! In the following link http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/references_background_checks.html
is an article about what we are talking about here. One of my colleagues in
Texas just posted this information on a professional resume writers e-list to which I belong. His brother is a Private Investigator and sent him this information.

This information is written for people in HR. While it is information from Texas, I think it answers some of the questions that have been asked.

Further, a bullet about waivers, which is VERY common these days, is worth looking at. Read the fine print, because many employers are putting this on their applications and web applications. These waivers give them "carte blanche" to check or ask whatever they want.

I was recently working with a Police Officer who put his whole career on the line (and had to quit over it) by accepting a "pizza bribe" from a motorist that worked for a national pizza chain. I urged him to be careful, even with the police department, and told him to have a background check conducted. Thankfully, the police department records were sealed. However, it does not take much for the potential employer to find someone else "who will talk."

Kathy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back