Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you apply for a job, and that prospective employer calls your current and/or past employers, those current/past employers can't specfically recommend or not recommend someone, correct?

I.e. you work for company A and want to work for company B, and apply. Company B calls company A and company A tells B you're a jack@ss, I thought that was illegal for some reason. Of the conversations I've had with bosses, they've always mentioned that fact.

Quoted from http://www.fly-hawaii.com/hire-details.html:
All air carriers are required to contact all previous aviation employers for reference prior to hiring a new pilot. Those pilots who accept a position with HFA and do NOT honor their one-year commitment, can expect a thumbs-down reference from our company when contacted by the new employer. Be fair and in integrity with us, and we will do the same!
Emphasis added.

~wheelsup

Talk to your lawyer. I don't believe a past employer can give a negative reference. Did he work there? yes/no. From this date to that date?

Background

I dont think it is illegal. many companys don't do it for fear of a defamation suit. Remeber though, it is not defamation if it is true.

For F.A.R. 135, a background check is mandatory to be filled out by each previous air carrier to show a history of failed check rides.

Some companys have a policy to only confirm employment dates for fear of backlash.

It is easy to give a bad reference without opening yourself to leagal action. Yes, he was here for those dates,,, No, he is not available for re-hire.

May I suggest that before you leave company A, you hire an independant company to do a background check on yourself. After this is completed, you will have a record of what company A will say to a prospective employer.

There are no laws restraining a company from saying anything they like about you, however there are civil consequences for what they do say. It is in their best interest to keep information down to a minimum.

If the information given to your prospective employer differs from what was recently recieved in the background check you did on yourself, company A would have a hard time maneuvering out of a bad civil position, and you could very well collect damages if it causes you a monetary loss (ie loss of new job).

Ive seen this firsthand, and it was not pretty. Guy collected one years salary from company A for his loss of a position at company B.

"Yes, John Pilot worked here, signed a 1 year contract to work here, but broke his contract and word to us by leaving before the year was up."

That is not illegal or wrong to say unless it is untrue. The previous employer doesn't even need to be blunt and say, "he's a lying sack of crap and his word is worth his weight in sh!t" .. the quote above means just that! They don't need ot insult you directly to get the point across.

Again, like someone said, if its true, you can't sue them for revealing that fact.

wheelsup said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you apply for a job, and that prospective employer calls your current and/or past employers, those current/past employers can't specfically recommend or not recommend someone, correct?

I.e. you work for company A and want to work for company B, and apply. Company B calls company A and company A tells B you're a jack@ss, I thought that was illegal for some reason. Of the conversations I've had with bosses, they've always mentioned that fact.

Quoted from http://www.fly-hawaii.com/hire-details.html:
Emphasis added.

~wheelsup

Prior employer references

wheelsup said:
Past employers can say anything they want to say about you. But doing so can expose them to such things as defamation lawsuits. Accordingly, most companies these days will only confirm dates of employment, compensation, and possibly how you left the company.

Best thing you can do is to obtain an LOR every time you leave a company. Bring the letters with you to an interview. Having positive or neutral things said about you in writing should obviate a bad over-the-phone reference.

Where are you, Resume Writer? She can provide a definitive answer.

Last edited:
pullmyfinger said:
There are no laws restraining a company from saying anything they like about you, however there are civil consequences for what they do say. It is in their best interest to keep information down to a minimum.
Yes there are laws that restrain a company from what they can/can not say. The states I'm familiar with have them. What they can say:

Date of Employment
Resignation or Termination

That is it. Many times employers are PROHIBITED from answering any other questions by law.

For example, in a state I worked in years ago a question on a background check may say something like: "Is this person eligible for re-hire?". In that state, such a question was illegal to answer.

Last edited:
I wont argue..there are no laws prohibiting what an employer can say in any state.

There are civil consequences for what they do say.

I was a lawyer before I opened my eyes to aviation.

Good luck guys.

pullmyfinger said:
I wont argue..there are no laws prohibiting what an employer can say in any state.

There are civil consequences for what they do say.

I was a lawyer before I opened my eyes to aviation.

Good luck guys.
A lawyer that won't argue, pullmyfinger must be stand up guy! :)

Sorry if I posted incorrect information above...

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, but I have worked in the HR department of two airlines. They both were under the impression that they weren't allowed by law (in addition to corporate policy) to answer certain questions regarding background checks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back