proposed delta cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This can't be good...

"Jetblue just released their 190 payrates.

First year capt $70.71 for first 70 hours/ $106.57 over 70
2nd year $72.32
First year F/O $37.10 for the first 70 /
2nd year $39.95"

Just copied this from the Jet Blue EMB190 pay rate thread. Just imagine what the DAL management thinks about these proposed rates... I am sure someone is throwing a huge party... Do the Comair/ASA pilots have anything to worry about in terms of their own wages? You bet. You can thank Jet Blue's management for the potential reduction in ASA/Comair rates (gotta be competitive)... The bar continues to be lowered.

As the current ASA contract stands, it looks to me that CHQ makes a buck or two an hr. comparing the emb145 to ASA CRJ200. I guess all the outsorcing should go to ASA.

General Lee said:
USCtrojan,

Once again for you----Delta can manipulate your balance sheet by not charging you for things that mainline really pays for---like Distribution (Delta.com) and reservations, airport gate usage, and putting you on routes that used to sustain 727s or 737s--and your planes would be naturally full. Notice how Coex has developed a whole bunch of new city pairings to Mexico (I think they go to 25 or 30 cities from IAH) and a bunch of new routes from IAH to Boise, Bakersfield, and Palm Springs.... DCI mainly flies on routes that were once flown by MD-88s or MD-90s from DFW. Besides a few new cities from our main hubs (New Haven, Binghampton, etc form CVG and Freeport and Key West from ATL)---DCI has covered old routes flown by Mainline. Now the passengers are supposedly back---and more and more have to fly on cramped RJs for longer and longer flights. Debate that please.

Bye Bye--General Lee
General,

I just logged in and there's a million more replies to this thread already!! I ask then in response to your question, does Delta also manipulate Skywest, Chitauqua's balance sheet as well with all ticketing, and reservations, etc? Just so I understand you correctly, are you basically implying that Comair and ASA are only profitable for these reasons that you state? (ticketing, etc.) I agree with you that long legs in an RJ would be uncomfortable. That definition, "uncomfortable long leg," is not for you and me to decide. That definition is left up to the market. Right sized aircraft for the right market. Unfortunately ALPA is trying to strong arm the company into manipulating where it sends its aircraft, and how frequently. I disagree with this. And I believe it's costing the company the ability to compete effectively.

On Your Six said:
USCTrojan,

No offense taken. Keep this in mind, IF DAL managment gets the chance, they will improve their margins with Comair and ASA by reducing costs there too. Under bankruptcy, all contracts will be subject to change through negotiations - not just the mainline pilots. Why would GG leave cash on the table when he could reduce EVERYONE'S wages too - that's what the bankruptcy process would provide - an opportunity to trim all labor contracts. I am not a Delta pilot, but a lot of my buddies are. They are so tired of being the sole target in this long debate. Sure, LCCs have changed everything - nothing will EVER BE THE SAME FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER. Wages will need to come down. But wait, the pilots aren't the only labor group in Delta - right? What about everyone else contributing to the "investment" in the future?

I think most Delta pilots (except for the random good-ole-boy Southern jacka$$) believe that it's time to accept the facts that wages will need to be lower to compete BETTER. But they are tired of being blamed for everything - they won their current contract through tough negotiations (sure, back in the golden days). Leo once said "a contract is a contract." The mainliners have been ready to talk for quite some time - this is a negotiation right? Now DAL management is trying to shape public opinion and the opinions of other Delta constituencies like the FAs and the regional folks - focus the blame and your "futures" on the actions of the pilots. The pressure on the pilots is BUILDING.... GG is brilliant - it's called divide and conquer...

If Chapter 11 happens, expect everyone's wallets to get thinner because DAL management will have the ability to renegotiate every labor contract - and I doubt they will give up a chance to reduce overhead when offered. DAL management doesn't want to wait for Comair's next contract negotiations - they will act to reduce the difference between Comair/ASA and Mesa or CHQ. Tough times ahead I am afraid...
Six,

I definitely agree, tough times ahead. For all legacy carriers. Legacy carriers seem to be the only groups fighting within each other. Legacy carriers are the only carriers asking/demanding their employees take pay cuts--which ultimately effects its passengers. ALA pissed off employees=pissed off passengers=no more airline. I have no idea what to expect in a Ch 11. I do know it will get worse before it gets better, unfortunately.

On Your Six said:
You're forgetting CRJ financing costs... Not cheap.
You don't think that CHQ/SKYW don't factor these costs into the fees they charge DL? Again...provide a link that shows CHQ/SKYW are cheaper. If you can't, I'll just assume you are making things up.

Let me ask you this, if CMR is so expensive, why has DL given CMR so many planes in the past three years?? Why have ALL the CR7's gone to wholly-owned carriers?

I'm sure management wants to lower pay for CMR/ASA and in BK they might just have their way. But just remember, the lower the pay at CMR/ASA, the less mainline growth there will be. Personally, I would think the mainline guys would want regional pay to go as high as possible, so that the regionals become less appealing for future flying. But apparently, you want all your flying done by regionals.

MedFlyer said:
Please provide us with the link that shows CHQ and SkyWest are cheaper than ASA/CMR?
There are none. DAL refuses to release the financials on DCI, so there is no data to compare. Airways had a good CA article and RR said they are "moderately profitable", but said Airways that they were denied any specific data because "DAL will not reveal operating costs or financial stats for any WO." I suspect if we knew the real numbers, we would see how bad we are being taken advantage of.

>Please provide us with the link that shows CHQ and SkyWest are cheaper than ASA/CMR?

medflyer,

i'm not contesting your point, but Skywest pilots fly the 50 and the 70 for the same rate, which is less than the CMR 50-seat rate, i remember hearing that from a Skywest crew member. they switch airplanes on trips, but can only fly one or the other on a given day. one of those airline contract websites should have the numbers. as for what any of us really cost, only GG and the CFO truly know...

Internal Memorandum

Date: July 6, 2004
To: All Delta Employees
Subject: Recent Media Reports

This morning’s USA Today carried an article on the subject of Delta’s need to reduce pilot costs and the level of savings that will be necessary. As noted in the story, the information was obtained from an unnamed source. Because we want to keep you fully informed about developments within our airline, including responses we make to press reports such as these, the statement from me issued this morning is provided below:

"It is no secret that our situation grows more urgent with each passing day. As I have said to Delta people in meetings with them around the system – and again as recently as last week, it is painfully clear that last year's estimate of the cost savings we will need if Delta is to survive and compete is no longer valid. Instead, the hole has deepened during the intervening months. That is why we're working overtime on the strategic planning initiatives announced earlier this year – and why we are heartened by the recent positive and constructive initiatives from ALPA and Delta’s pilots."

As noted in last week’s memo, we will continue to update you in the coming weeks and months. Your clear understanding of the challenges Delta faces and the steps we must take together are absolutely essential to our company’s future.

Jerry Grinstein

It looks like Jerry's propaganda machine may have over stepped it's bounds and came close to derailing the negotiating process. Many Delta pilots wanted to with hold any future concessions in response to managements tactic of negotiating in the media and not at the table. The response from the DAL MEC was quick and very sharp to mismanagements leak to the media from an "insider." It looks like Jerry wants to distance himself from that "insider", while still justifying concessions and letting DALPA know that he is "heartened" by DALPA's efforts to reignite the negotiating process.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back