Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
On a few occasions, we've been taxiing with another aircraft ahead of us. When they neared the hold-short line, they angled the aircraft at about a 45-degree angle, apparently to avoid blasting us with their prop during the runup. But I was thinking, what's the big deal??? A typical light trainer sees airspeeds of +100MPH all the time. What's the big deal about a stupid prop blast??? I appreciate the courtesy, but really do not understand the point.

Edit: Is it because of possible dust/dirt being on the taxiway???

Dust can be an issue, the wash can pick up rocks and other debris that can scratch up the unfortunate guy behind you. I know I wouldn't want any crappy scratches on my newly painted 182. It is just a general good thing to do and a respectful thing to do for the guy behind you. If that wasnt convincing enough, think if you launched a rock and cracked a windshield, donno if it would actually crack, but you might get yelled at by the guy, so I just don't risk it.

Depending on where the taxiway is with regard to the runway it can also aid in engine cooling. Some people I know actually turn straight into the wind for their run-up...that’s a little excessive if you ask me though.

well, if they're going to the hold short line and are angling it, do you think that it might be to get a better view of any aircraft on final? i know that's why i angle my airplane when holding short of the active.

cforst513 said:
well, if they're going to the hold short line and are angling it, do you think that it might be to get a better view of any aircraft on final? i know that's why i angle my airplane when holding short of the active.

Never done that. You must fly out of an uncontrolled field.

UnAnswerd said:
Never done that. You must fly out of an uncontrolled field.
nope. EVB has a control tower, but are you willing to put your life 100% in the other guy's hands when you have the opportunity to look out for yourself? does it hurt to have that little extra safety margin? not at all. that's why i angle my aircraft. remember, no man is perfect, and for the one A/C that slips through the cracks of ATC and causes an accident, well, do you want that to be you? i don't want it to be me. that's why i try to take as many precautions as possible. rather safe than sorry.

cforst513 said:
nope. EVB has a control tower, but are you willing to put your life 100% in the other guy's hands when you have the opportunity to look out for yourself? does it hurt to have that little extra safety margin? not at all. that's why i angle my aircraft. remember, no man is perfect, and for the one A/C that slips through the cracks of ATC and causes an accident, well, do you want that to be you? i don't want it to be me. that's why i try to take as many precautions as possible. rather safe than sorry.

Your alloted soapbox time is up, please give the soapbox to the next in line. ;)

You guys are doing run ups?? :)

WIPilot said:
Your alloted soapbox time is up, please give the soapbox to the next in line. ;)
You.... um, your.... MOM's time is up!!! yeeeeeeeah, whaddya think of me now?!?

ok, that doesn't quite work, does it? i give up. this box is too high anyways. i'm afraid of heights...

cforst513 said:

cforst you are right. I'll say though, my instructor has never illuded to need/idea to do this. I will keep it in mind though.

Latest resources

Back