• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Prop blast???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stopping your plane at an angle at the hold short line to see final is usually done in high-wing airplanes since the wing will block the view of final if you stop perpendicular to the runway. If you are in a PA-28 or other low-wing airplanes, your view of final is usually fine without stopping at an angle to the hold short line.

wow c fORST, i agree with ya for once

we angle it for a better view in high wings like hudro said.

as far as being courtious to another plane behind you, personally i dont care whos behind me getting blasted by the mighty 110 HP lyco from my mighty 152, sometimes a 152II.

tony c i would like to know your input on the subject:)

I always look, and if it means angle on the plane, that's what I do. Here at home, I do the runup looking at the opposite direction of takeoff, to see anyone that might be coming in. I also wait a little while after the plane ahead of me takes off, because I have been tossed just after rotation, twice, and I won't do it again.
Okay, that's 600, got to do some work

First, the prop blast can wrench the controls from your hand and cause control surface damage.

Second, I always do a clearing turn prior to taking the active, controlled or uncontrolled fields. Remember the jet that landed on the commuter plane at LAX a few years ago?

At LAX, I don't think you can blame the aircraft holding in position with respect to not looking, it can be difficult to judge distances of large aircraft looking straight into their flightpath. Here's the NTSB's take on probable cause...

THE FAILURE OF THE LOS ANGELES AIR TRAFFIC FACILITY MANAGEMENT TO IMPLEMENT PROCEDURES THAT PROVIDED REDUNDANCY COMPARABLE TO THE REQUIREMENTS CONTAINED IN THE NATIONAL OPERATIONAL POSITION STANDARDS AND THE FAILURE OF THE FAA AIR TRAFFIC SERVICE TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE POLICY DIRECTION AND OVERSIGHT TO ITS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY MANAGERS. THESE FAILURES CREATED AN ENVIRONMENT IN THE LOS ANGELES AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TOWER THAT ULTIMATELY LED TO THE FAILURE OF THE LOCAL CONTROLLER 2 (LC2) TO MAINTAIN AN AWARENESS OF THE TRAFFIC SITUATION, CULMINATING IN THE INAPPROPRIATE CLEARANCES AND THE SUBSEQUENT COLLISION OF THE USAIR AND SKYWEST AIRCRAFT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT WAS THE FAILURE OF THE FAA TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE QUALITY ASSURANCE OF THE ATC SYSTEM. (NTSB REPORT AAR-91/08)

From here...

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X16433&key=1

Lilah

gkrangers said:
Yeah...looking out for yourself is especially important at EVB.
heck yes it is!!! what, with all those Riddle students clogging our runways and taxiways!!! ;)

When I do a run up, I don't like anyone near me or watching.

It's a private thing, like peeing in the bushes, you can't pee near someone, it's just weird.

Performance anxiety eh? :)

gkrangers said:
Just wait till Riddle is back in full session....EVB will be using intersecting runways...its downright scary.
swell. i'll be looking forward to that....

Latest resources

Back