Promoting Flight Instruction w/ a Letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great Letter

First off...GREAT LETTER! I'm currently a CFI at a school in LA and I just wanted to throw in my .02 for who to market to. Among my students, I've got Accountants, Insurance Agents, Contractors, and also a Pastor! Don't discredit anyone b/c you just have to find the people with the desire. Although, the less than 1% statistic is true of direct mail...it's better than nothing. I'd also post your flyer anywhere there's a community bulletin board! There's quite a few around the city I'm in, and it'll also a good place to spark some interest. The owner of the flight school here is putting an add in all the high school newspapers. Just wanted to toss in that little bit.

Thanks.

What kind of companies / businesses have community bulletin boards in your town?

I've hit the libraries. It would assist if I knew what area or types of company would have these bulletin boards, then I can post more flyers.

Post Cards offering Service

Here is another idea that I thought of.
Sending out postcards to all pilots in my area (neighboring towns) offering our services out here (BFRs, recurrent training, additional ratings, etc.)

Anyone have a rough draft of what I could put on the card?
Should I not bore them with the background of our company/

Re: Post Cards offering Service

gizbug said:
Thanks.

What kind of companies / businesses have community bulletin boards in your town?

I've hit the libraries. It would assist if I knew what area or types of company would have these bulletin boards, then I can post more flyers.

One place that I can think of is office building mail rooms. They often have a board where people post cars for sale, different cleaning services, etc. Another place you might keep an eye out for is restaurants which have a community board (like an Atlanta or St. Louis Bread Co.). Don't just limit yourself as far as professionals. Among my students, I've got accountants, contractors, independent business owners, and a pastor. It's not so much about the person's annual income, as their desire to learn. The student who's a pastor has wanted to learn to fly for 30 years and he just decided this year to take the plunge and get his license. (BTW: His checkride is next Friday after 3 months of training!) So I would just keep the flyers handy in your car and post them where ever you can. Another place which may work is laundromats, as they usually have a bulletin board of some kind.

gizbug said:
Sending out postcards to all pilots in my area (neighboring towns) offering our services out here (BFRs, recurrent training, additional ratings, etc.)

Those would also work...but again, it's a direct mailer which has a very small success rate. I think someone else already suggested this, but try reading Greg Brown's Book THE SAVVY FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR. It'll give you more great ideas. I've read it and the suggestions are much like the ones you already have and then some. Best of Luck!!!

Re: Post Cards offering Service

gizbug said:

It's a slow day...........any suggestions on a short wording/paragraph to put on these postcards?

Hey gizbug,
High schools is a good idea, but have you thought about universities? At mine some CFI at a local airport posted a lot of flyers and almost all of those little phone number tags that he put on the bottom were ripped off. A lot of students might not have an abundance of time due to school work, but it's something to think about. Good luck buddy.

I've posted a few flyers up at schools. They had the tear tags. This was a month ago, haven't really had any feedback yet.

Latest resources

Back