Projected Upgrade Time at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

barrelroll

As of today what is Delta's projected Captain upgrade time? I fully understand that this a very dynamic number based on many many variables including desired base, aircraft, retirements, economy, etc. I've heard that it is around 15+ years but wanted to see what others project. Thanks.

Projected? Using every possible "what if" out there, then you looking at anywhere between 4 and 20 years. If RJs are brought on then possibly 4 years. If Globalthermonuclear war ( aka tic-tac-toe) breaks out between the U.S. and the USSR, then 20+ years. Using current conditions and thinking they'll remain is plain silly and a waste of time, but sometimes fun (like riding a moped.)

Based on retirements I would say somebody hired today would upgrade in about 10-11 years vs a 2000 hire whose looking at about 19 years to upgrade in ATL.

Yep if you are hired today you will be about 6000 numbers from the 50% mark. For the bottom person to hit that we will be in about year 2023-2025.

Yep if you are hired today you will be about 6000 numbers from the 50% mark. For the bottom person to hit that we will be in about year 2023-2025.

Captain isnt at 50% though ;) its closer to 70% for a plug captain position.

This also assumes status quo and -0- growth. Growth, better contract, and increasing attrition will make upgrade possible sooner IMHO.

Yeah I make it half way up the seniority list in 2023. Thank you ALPA again for age 65.

See my above post.

Also, you're assuming worst case scenario of Every pilot going to 65 which isnt realistic.

With that said, I'm a glass half full kinda guy :beer:

Latest resources

Back