Professional Pilot Programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something else to think about

One thing you might want to consider in this job market is how often graduates of the program you choose get jobs as flight instructors at the end of training. It'll be much easier if after you finish training you can go right into a CFI job and start building some time. The last thing you want to happen is to finish some program and be on the street as a CFI with zero dual. Also, don't trust the school's ?adminssions officer?. Most of them will tell you anything to get you to sign up, especially these days. Ask some of the students or instructors, they can give you the real story. Atleast one of the schools you metioned is pretty much not hiring their graduates right now, due to the slowing of upward movement.

Diana,

I have to agree with many of the previous posts that the 4yr degree is a very big boost on the resume by the time you get to the majors. When they look at pilots with same amount of time they will 98% of the time take the one with the degree.

I do NOT agree with what some of these guys are saying about wait about six years. That is flat out rediculous! There will be SO many Baby-Boomers retiring in the next six years that we will have a VERY large pilot shortage if everyone was to wait until hiring starts picking up then. Not to mention growth over the next six years in the Airlines whether it be Regional or Mainline. PILOTS ARE NEEDED!!

As for flight schools, I am at ATA right now and just finished. It appears that there are going to be several options available to us VERY SOON. I shake my head at the suckers who gave up there training because the industry is hurting right now. Take it one step at a time. I did and it looks like I will get into a regional at <400hrs directly into a JET. As far as ATA, it has its quirks here and there but I honestly believe that it is the BEST flight school around. Airstage II is unbeatable here, 100hrsmulti, part 121 qualified ground schools, CRM environment, and now @30hrs in a CL65 SIM. Regionals are knocking on the door here since we got that SIM. The thing that puts this school above the others is that they are establishing relationships with several airlines not just one. No other school offers that. I know its costly, TRUST ME, but they have actually reduced the airstage II price by 15k.

The last thing I would advise is like others have said above, make sure you want to do this. If you don't have your private, Get it first. after that you will have a good idea if you will enjoy it or not. My opinion is that there is no other job in the world that compares to being a pilot!

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I just have to know a few things. First, which regionals are "knocking on the door at ATA?" I've only heard of 3 airlines that still have relationships with ATA, which are American Eagle (not hiring), TSA (not hiring), and Discover Air? Who are they?? Never heard of them. I seriously doubt you will be in a jet with less than 400 hours even if you went to ATA. Airstage two is a nice idea but I think I would rather spend the money on my CFI, CFII, and MEI. You're much more marketable with those ratings than you are with 400 hours and 100hrs of multi.

I'm not trying to knock your school but you can get a lot of the same training and more ratings at a place like ATPs for about $15-20,000 less, plus, you don't have to deal with paying several hundred dollars for those awful uniforms they make you wear. At ATPs you get to deal with more real world flying, and get to fly planes across the country and aren't limited to one certain area.

As other people previously posted, be very cautious of any flight school/academy you attend. They will say anything to get you into the door, after that, who knows what could happen. Be very cautious, but remember to enjoy your training and have fun.

Paid commercial---I biting my nails hoping that my company doesn't go under. If it does I will be in a world of hurt to get another job.

Uniforms?

AZaviator please define "awful uniforms"? Do those big schools make you where uniforms to fly there, and work there? Any info would be great.

Yea, certain flight schools/academies require their students to spend a few hundred dollars on uniforms, money which would be a lot more useful going toward flight time.

Time to grow up...

JETBOUND said:
Diana,

As for flight schools, I am at ATA right now and just finished. It appears that there are going to be several options available to us VERY SOON. I shake my head at the suckers who gave up there training because the industry is hurting right now. Take it one step at a time. I did and it looks like I will get into a regional at <400hrs directly into a JET. As far as ATA, it has its quirks here and there but I honestly believe that it is the BEST flight school around. Airstage II is unbeatable here, 100hrsmulti, part 121 qualified ground schools, CRM environment, and now @30hrs in a CL65 SIM. Regionals are knocking on the door here since we got that SIM. The thing that puts this school above the others is that they are establishing relationships with several airlines not just one. No other school offers that. I know its costly, TRUST ME, but they have actually reduced the airstage II price by 15k.

Oh please, ATA is the best flight school around? Was that the school that lost it's 141 status? Or the school that ASA choose to no longer associate with? I seriously doubt that the airlines are about to kick in the front doors to get ATA's grads. If they are, and it's because of the rescue jet simulator, then I would say it was silly of you to pay for sim time that airlines give you for free. I don't know if you've heard of this, but airlines will train you how to fly their equipment when you get hired. It's not necessary to waste your own money. Moreover, Airstage II is complete joke. Flying around playing airline pilot by flying a light twin with a simulated schedule? How about 100 hours trying to keep the aircraft upright while students try to turf in the aircraft while doing Vmc demos? Now that's a real learning experience. Even better, that experience comes free once you get your MEI. Basically, my point is that you'd be better of putting all that cash you'll need for Airstage II and the CL65 sim in a paper bag and burning it, at least you'll stay warm all winter, and maybe some of next too.

About uniforms. The best way to describe a flight school that makes you wear uniforms is that it's like dressing up for Halloween everyday. It's cute for little kids to dress up once a year, but it gets stupid after awhile. I doubt anyone can give me any benefits of wearing uniforms during flight training. It's a waste of money, complete overkill.

Hopefully, you won't take to great personal offense to this post, but you can tell I DO NOT like ATA.

Hey,

In response to your question regarding a good professional pilot program.

In May last year after just finishing my private I had 25 000 dollars to spend on further flight training. So I looked around. All over.
Most of the schools I found gave me all ratings and approximately 25 hours twin time. I also checked out NAIA in South Carolina (I even visited the school), and I think it is a good school.

I didn't end up going there though. I ended up in Fort Pierce, FL and Ari-Ben Aviator. It's a small school with 6 Cessna 172's and 6 Duchesses. The good thing about this school is that for 25 000 you can enroll in their Pro-Course and after about 6 months you'll have all your ratings and 200 hours multi-engine! All the training is done in the Duchess. And you definitely can't find a deal like that anywhere else. At least I couldn't.

As you know, one thing that the airlines look for in an applicant is total time, but more importantly twin-time. I've been instructing here at Aviator for a little less than a year now, and I have about 1000 hours total with 700 multi.

Sure this school has its little "twists", as any other flight school, but you'll get a lot for your money.

You should check it out. (www.aribenaviator.com)

Good luck in your school search.
And by the way, I think this is a great time to start flying. By the time you're "done" instructing (in about 2 to 3 years) I'm sure the business has picked up again. At least so I hope ;)

Naviator

Be careful about getting an aviation specific degree. Its great if you want to become a pilot, however you are somewhat limited as to what else you can do. Excellant example is our current situation or if you lose you medical.

Jetbound, what happens if you forget to wear you uniform?
Do they send you home?

I gotta put my .02 in...

First, there will be retiree's in the next 6 years. How long though does the junior United guy think he may be furloughed? I have heard a very sad 2 years before a recall, how about the junior guy at Eagle, I believe another thread was alluding to year before recall. Will the retiree's out number the furloughed pilots? I don't have those numbers but with each major alluding to almost 1,000 pilot's on furlough each, I have some doubt... Regionals, will grow, undoubtly so. How much and how soon? all of us would like to know that! Heck if we knew that we would all bargain for the best contract out there... Who knows? not the ATA, FSI, or any other school, not even the airlines themselves.

To those 400 hr guys from any school who thinks they are getting a jet immediately... Think again, not when there are over 600+ "current" ERJ and CRJ furloughed pilots. Who do you think a company will pick? the dude who has the ink still wet on his/her commercial ticket or the dude who has several hundred hours in the actual aircraft on the actual line? My money would be on the later... 30hrs in a "sim" is no where close to the actual line!

As I recently completed CRJ training, I can say 30% of my class washed out, these were guys with 1500+ hours and 500+ hours in turbines and previous airline experience. I am not saying the CL-65 is a hard aircraft, but it is not a light twin either. A CL-65 sim is nice, but what will you actually learn other than good CRM? Any airline will send you to thier training at thier expense and you will learn it THIER way.

That is why they have training departments. ATA may give 30hrs of sim time but ask what you get for that? Are they doing approachs at 6, 6, & 6? with max x-wind? My company made us do that amongst other things.

The days of the 500 hour regional pilots are gone for a while, maybe a year maybe more, they will be back but not anytime soon with a good 1500 "regional" pilots on furlough.

I cannot speak for ATA's training, but I am highly suspect to anyone getting an "in" at any company when they are many brothers and sisters walking the unemployment line right now. There are very few regionals hiring, and only a few more rumored to be in the near future.

Finally to the 400 hour pilot, I truly do hope you get on with a regional and all the more if it is in a jet... Just be careful that the company is strong enough and your not going to get furloughed. This is why the CFI's are great, job security and you really get a great learning experience, it is hard work to get ( a lot harder than a cl-65 ground course) but it is well worth it...

Latest resources

Back