Private to Multi....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Travis152

Just finishing up my private cert I am already starting to look ahead. I want to be able to take the whole family and luggage to vacation and the only way I would be able to do that is by a multiengine plane. Does anyone think its a bad idea for a VFR pilot to go get his multi? Crunched the numbers and it is cheaper, let alone more convenient, to fly ourselves in a multi than to go commercially.

With only 53 hours you will probably be better off getting your instrument rating first. I also doubt most insurance companies will cover you flying in a twin without your IFR rating and less than 100 hours. To answer your question: I think you're much better off either flying commercially or taking a non-complex airplane in VFR weather. Just my opinion though.

I was planning on renting the multi so insurance would be covered, but yeah, defaintely flying a complex plane would be more to work for sure. At the same time I am going to fly multi's sooner or later, so why not sooner...But 53 hours isnt a whole lot in a single by any means either....Hell, I just want to fly down to Disneyland and not deal with all of the commercial hassle haha.

I think what he's trying to say (and I agree) is that with less than 100 hours and no instrument rating, you'd be hard pressed to find an insurance company willing to let you fly a twin by yourself.

Can it be done? Sure...but the FBO is going to have a HUGE premium most likely if you're going to go solo in a twin at this point.

If you just want the multi time, then by all means, get your multi-private add-on...then get the instrument rating in a twin. Is it more expensive? Yeah...but by the time you get your instrument rating, you should be insurable solo. SHOULD be.

What kind of twin? If it's a TC Baron or similar, the insurance requirements will be higher, in fact if it's a Baron, they may require "formal" training. If it's a Seminole or other basic trainer, the insurance mins may be a bit lower.

-mini

Try tracking down something like a Cherokee 6...300HP I think?

See if you can find any high performance singles in the area.

Whoa there cowboy, you're getting ahead of yourself a little bit.

I got my C340 two years ago after 20+ years of flying, an instrument rating, 1300 TT....all but 100 hours of which was in a Bonanza.

And my insurance company still wasn't real happy.

Required me to attend Flight Safety (with a refresher course every other year), and log 50 hours (10 of which was FS) of dual, and another 10 all by myself before they'd insure me.

My first year's premium was $15,000 btw. It's come down 30+% since then, and hopefully more next year.

As far as flying a private airplane b/c it's "cheaper" than an airline....

Don't kid yourself. They're MUCH more expensive over the long haul than an airline seat(s).

No private airplane justifies itself. We fly b/c we LOVE it, and can afford it, not b/c it's cheaper, or more convenient.....as evidenced by the number of hours you will sit in a terminal watching the Wx outside clear off enough to safely go....regardless of the airplane class. You'll wait far more than a commercial airline will over your lifetime.

But have fun...there's no greater joy to me.

JimG said:
Whoa there cowboy, you're getting ahead of yourself a little bit.

I got my C340 two years ago after 20+ years of flying, an instrument rating, 1300 TT....all but 100 hours of which was in a Bonanza.

And my insurance company still wasn't real happy.

Required me to attend Flight Safety (with a refresher course every other year), and log 50 hours (10 of which was FS) of dual, and another 10 all by myself before they'd insure me.

My first year's premium was $15,000 btw. It's come down 30+% since then, and hopefully more next year.

As far as flying a private airplane b/c it's "cheaper" than an airline....

Don't kid yourself. They're MUCH more expensive over the long haul than an airline seat(s).

No private airplane justifies itself. We fly b/c we LOVE it, and can afford it, not b/c it's cheaper, or more convenient.....as evidenced by the number of hours you will sit in a terminal watching the Wx outside clear off enough to safely go....regardless of the airplane class. You'll wait far more than a commercial airline will over your lifetime.

But have fun...there's no greater joy to me.

Spoken with wisdom beyond his years! Well put JimG!

2000flyer said:
Spoken with wisdom beyond his years! Well put JimG!

Agree 100%..

and Jim...I hope they gave you lube with that bill for a $15k premium.....OUCH!

What caused the premium to be so high? Turbos? Was it 135? Pressurized? Just the second engine? Curious minds want to know.

-mini

Your best bet to help you make a decision is to find the FBO's in your area with a twin that you might want to rent. Ask them if after you get your rating, if they will let you fly the plane solo. There are some places that will provide multi training, but to lower their insurance costs, will not allow solo flight. Research that first, and it may give you the answer you need.

Latest resources

Back