Private Pilots license

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We're quoting people 6-7K here in Sioux Falls

I agree with sky37d-- save up, set aside some time, and knock it out fast.

Your costs will be reduced once you start flying by yourself and don't have to rent the CFI too.

The 150/152 is a little cramped, but it's a solid little plane and cheaper to rent than a 172.

Even better yet, if you have access to a Cub/Champ/170/180/185-- or a P-51...hahaaa-- I'd go for that. You'll develop good pedal habits right off the bat.

Yea, I instruct out of Providence....about .3 each way, sometimes longer to get back in.I have had to hold for 30 min with an instrument student, it blew.. we are gettin them out in about 50-80

FlyinTim said:
Yea, I instruct out of Providence....about .3 each way, sometimes longer to get back in.I have had to hold for 30 min with an instrument student, it blew.. we are gettin them out in about 50-80

What school in PVD are you at?

The least expensive and best quality of learning will be if you really go at it. Do it when your regular job pressures are lowest and least demanding on your time so you can really devote your brain cells and enthusiam to flying. Do a lot of ground school study before you start actually flying. Choose your instructor carefully . . someone you respect and can get along with. You want somebody affable, but somewhat demanding that's going to push you to get it right. Try to fly every day, if practical. If you go for 5-6 days between flights, you're not going to learn or develop your "muscle memory" as fast. You'll wind up repeating mistakes and having to do things over and over. Everytime you go to fly, your instructor should have told you what you're going to concentrate on, the day before. BE PREPARED for every flight . . . you're paying for it. Sit down and "chair fly" the flight going through every switch movement, radio call, and flight manuever you're likely to make. There's nothing more emotionally rewarding for the instructor than to see you progress rapidly and really take training seriously. This isn't high school driver's ed. It'll feel like drinking from a fire hose, but believe me, if you take it seriously, it'll come together and all make sense fairly quickly. If you start getting airsick (not uncommon) tell your instructor. You can't learn much if you're thinking about throwing up instead of flying the machine. You'll get acclimatized to flying and pretty soon it won't bother you. If it continues, seek the advice of the doc who gave you your medical certificate. There's some light airsickness meds that you can use for a few flights until your equalibrium gets used to the movement.

And BTW, before I take a simulator checkride, I still "chair fly" . . . . and I've been flying 25 years and am a 747 Captain.

PhatAJ2008 said:
I'm looking to getting my PPL. Went to the airport today and checked into pricing. They (Flightline) said it would cost me about $7,000. to get my cert. Does this sound about right?
Thanks

I spent 9,000, they projected it would cost me 7,500...

Latest resources

Back