Private Oral Exam Guide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MiragePilot

I was just wondering how many people knew this book cover to cover for the checkride? I thought I knew a pretty good bit, but I guess not.

I did for the most part, with the exception of the weather section. Never could get that stuff down pat before the checkride.

I lived in a big town at the time, so anytime the girlfriend and I would be driving somewhere, she'd read me questions and I'd give her the answers.

Same with other down times when we didnt have anything to do. I learned a great deal from doing it that way, and it certainly helped me on my checkride. You can know the knowledge, but most of the questions ask you in a different way then what you learned, so it makes you think and really see if you know it or not. That's the way the orals on checkrides go!

Used the Oral Exam Guide for all my ratings, with the exception of the CFI stuff, and it always served me well.

The Oral Exam Guide is good, yet is just that, a "Guide". It provides sample questions and answers, and helps you review. Use this as a supplement to the PTS.

The key piece of information is the PTS. The PTS is what the examiner will use to guide the checkride.

For the Oral, see pages 1-1 through 1-5 in the PTS.

I. AREA OF OPERATION: PREFLIGHT PREPARATION

Expect the examiner to ask about all topics listed therein. Make sure you know each of those topics, have your instructor/friends/flying buddies quiz you and each other on those areas. Before each checkride, I sit down with my students and go through each subject area in the PTS to make sure their knowledge is solid.

Examples: for weather, make sure you look at each weather item, and be confident you can describe when to use it (FA leads to TAF which leads to METARs). For airworthiness, have the maintenance logs handy and prove that the aircraft is airworthy (required inspections, ADs in compliance, be able to find the required inspections in the aircraft logbooks).

The PTS is key, use the Oral Exam Study Guide to supplement areas of knowledge in the PTS.

be carefull not to rely soley on it tho. i knew a guy that that's all he studies and when the examiner asked him where he could find that info he didnt know. he said the oral guid and then issued the guy some kind of pink slip or whatever color those discontinuence <sp> certificates are colored

Kream926 said:
i knew a guy that that's all he studies and when the examiner asked him where he could find that info he didnt know. he said the oral guid and then issued the guy some kind of pink slip

I do not have an oral exam guide in front of me, yet I believe it is published by ASA (and other publishers). It is not an FAA reference. Even if a question cannot be answered, it is just as important to know where to find the answer.

Each PTS states (Page 3 of Private PTS) "These pratical test standards are based on the following references." and the oral exam guide is not listed as a reference.

Use the Oral guide as a supplement to the references included in the PTS's.

if you're worried about the oral part, which i always am, do what i do which i think is what everyon eelse does.

sit down with all your faa books and a pts and go through every task and every item. then look everything up in those books.

i did that for every stg. check and every check ride and the only thing i had to look up on my comm. ride was o2 requirments for unpressurized a/c, i had a brain fart.

good luck!!

MiragePilot said:
I was just wondering how many people knew this book cover to cover for the checkride? I thought I knew a pretty good bit, but I guess not.
I did. I got it because I wanted something additional to use for quizzing. It was useful to have the questions all in one place, with complete answers, and with references. It presented some things differently than I'd seen before, and I also ended up learning some new things from it. The book only costs a few bucks, anyway. It was useful enough that I also bought the instrument oral exam guide, but I haven't cracked that one yet.
-C.

Latest resources

Back