• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Private Jets Have More Fatal Accidents Than Commercial Planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the "hull losses" in SFO was an airplane that was parked, locked up and un-crewed, at 5 in the morning. A service vehicle ran into the wing at high speed causing extensive damage. The driver was killed and the airframe written off.

Some Guy is correct about the mid-air near Reno. Truly an amazing feat of airmanship (and a tiny bit of good luck) that prevented a major tragedy.

The other in SFO was an old 1000 waiting in line for takeoff. Had been held for about 20 minutes (thankfully) due to traffic. Tower told the crew they were smoking in the back. The hell hole caught fire. Investigation couldn't determine what started it, but a hydraulic leak (likely mist at 3000 psi) fueled it. Damaged the rear pressure bulkhead and once that is gone, the aircraft is done.

Word has it the service truck driver was dead before he hit the airplane. Cardiac arrest or something. Damaged the left wing spar.

As for Reno, she earned a bunch of awards. I saw the pictures and read the final report. without the skill of both crew members, they would have never made it back.

SG

Last edited:
I think there was a Falcon 20 many years ago that hit birds leaving BKL and lost both engines. Crew landed in the water and was picked up by a boat. As the story goes, they never even got their feet wet. The aircraft was pulled from the water, fixed, and continued to fly although they probably never got the Lake Erie funk fully cleaned off the paint.

Sg

So how many operations did Netjets do, and how many "avoidable" accidents were there?

Seems like a pretty good record by any standard.

One of the "hull losses" in SFO was an airplane that was parked, locked up and un-crewed, at 5 in the morning. A service vehicle ran into the wing at high speed causing extensive damage. The driver was killed and the airframe written off.

Some Guy is correct about the mid-air near Reno. Truly an amazing feat of airmanship (and a tiny bit of good luck) that prevented a major tragedy.

I've flown with and talked to MM....there was a LOT of luck involved. Not to diminish the great flying....he was just being honest. In any case, whatever the amount of luck, they did a great job with everything against them.

I've flown with and talked to MM....there was a LOT of luck involved. Not to diminish the great flying....he was just being honest. In any case, whatever the amount of luck, they did a great job with everything against them.

Absolutely. Call it what you want. They made it back safe and in the end, that's all that matters.

SG

NetJets pilots have created the safest flying operation I have ever been with. You get a few that don't follow the procedures and mistakes are made, but largely this is a safe working environment. Happy to be a part of this pilot group.

Now if we can just improve the contract . . .

Latest resources

Back