• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PRIA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I interviewed with another company after this and they offered me class date, does this mean the termination letter did not show up...or was I gonna get booted out of class when they eventually received it?

Your employment was "terminated" by your resignation letter - you're worrying too much. ;)

Trust me - more than half the time this was the term we saw being used when we ran our pilots' background checks.

If you're uncertain - contact John Ryan at the FAA [email protected]

Actually - airlines are only required to verify your employment background information for the last 5 years even though you fill out a 10-year previous employment form. I have never seen a background information request specifying a 5 year time frame - it is the airlines' discretion, not yours, to “leave out” anything older than 5 years. It is up to their discretion to request information going further back than 5 years. If you have something in your file, it won't be automatically "deleted" after 5 years - the information will simply not be sent out, unless...
I was told by John Ryan (FAA PRIA rep.) that it is very unusual for any airline to request additional information from the FAA - they're usually satisfied with the report the FAA sends them.
Always know what’s in your file – it’s equivalent to knowing your FICA score when you’re applying for a mortgage loan!

If you're unsure, contact John A. Ryan at the OKC FSDO, he's in charge of the program and is very helpful.

I am specifically referring to training record information that maybe passed on to another carrier, not information on your dates of employment. It clearly has a 5 year limit on that information and that carrier shall not release that information. An example would be working for a carrier 7 years ago, and there is information in that record that you are not too proud of.

I am specifically referring to training record information that maybe passed on to another carrier, not information on your dates of employment. It clearly has a 5 year limit on that information and that carrier shall not release that information. An example would be working for a carrier 7 years ago, and there is information in that record that you are not too proud of.

Well, even if you are "not too proud" of your previous record surely you wouldn't withold any information from your past, right? Because if you do, you can actually be terminated no matter how long you’ve been with the particular airline. You're correct that airlines normally don’t check someone’s training records > 5 years old, UNLESS they’re suspicious about your previous training. For example, if you perform extremely poorly in training, they might research your previous training farther back than 5 years - it's their prerogative even though it's very rare. After all, the whole reason for having PRIA records is a case where a pilot failed numerous training events at one airline and went to a different airline which wasn’t even aware of the guy’s past. Was it RDU crash? Can't remember now…

Thanks, for your information, as a general rule I do not send PRIA'S out to companies I worked at over 5 years ago, unless they are specifically asked for. However I do list the previous employers on the general application and have never had a problem doing it that way.

1. PRIA is 5 years.

2. Employment verification is 10 years.

3. If you ever submit a letter of resignation, it is best to get a letter
from your company saying they have accepted your resignation. If a future company ever merged w/one of your previous companies who you were fired from, they could refuse to employ you. A letter showing proof of resignation would then come in hand.

Best Advise as previous stated-create a paper trail-send it certified mail (in addition to in person)

I dug up this old thread, as was discussing this exact issue with a friend tonight.

Here's his dilemma:

-Individual in question recently began training with a ragtag operator outside of North America (non-US company) but is in the Western world.

-The contract he had specified his employment began ONCE his checkride was complete.

-Friend was dissatisfied with the operation and left after a month. Was about 3/4 of the way done his training (groundschool complete) but checkride was a couple weeks away.

-He never received any $ for being at the place aside from some small expense reimbursement

-Friend's new job is a springboard. He has the flight time/quals and with some luck he'll get a shot at a job with the majors when the doors open up in a year or so.

Friend is from California and will be living fulltime in the US again. Do you put this ragtag foreign place on your resume, with the knowledge that they are a non-US place, don't know the quirks of PRIA, and it is 100% they will say bad things about him if a background check is done as they were counting on him completing training and starting flying. Friend did NOT do the notarized resignation letter, and his links there are in his words "napalmed" as guys running the place are vindictive. Or do you just not put it on your resume and work history. Remember, friend was never paid, and the contract/work terms clearly says employment starts when training is complete. Are you considered still "unemployed" when you have such a stipulation and are not getting paid while in training?

Thanks for all insights.

FCN

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back