Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skaz

Dark Lord of the Sith
I was working at company X, interviewed with company Y, got offer a class, resigned from X then got a termination letter (dated 3 days after my resignation letter)....question is, should I say I got fired or no?

Will this show up in PRIA file?

Thanks

Was company x part 91 or 121/135?

I may be mistaken, but I think the only question that they can ask is if you are eligible for rehire. In this case I am guessing they will answer no. I would hold onto your dated letter of resignation, and the dated dismissal letter. The good news is hopefully you are at a better job that you plan on staying at for a while. The bad news is that if your not you will have to explain this at future interviews. I would take the letters with you to those interviews. Heck I might even get mine certified.

would it help if I try to get my personnel file from X...that will be the same info they supply to any PRIA requests, correct?

Actually the PRIA checks main purpose is to check for failed training, and drug tests. Most of the time HR has a file, and training has a file. The records PRIA is after is the training records mostly. I would certainly try to get a copy of everything as it will make your case stronger down the road. I always get my resignation letters certified and I usually send them certified mail. I like have a paper trail, for this very reason. Most states are "at will" states meaning that a employer can get rid of you if you smell funny. This provides little protection for the employee. I take it your last job was non-union, because if it was union you could still contact a rep?

I just went through my records, I have a collection of documents that was sent to company Y after they requested the PRIA (I requested copies), the termination letter isnt included in that, but it was included in the document packet company X sent me, since it happened after the PRIA request.

I interviewed with another company after this and they offered me class date, does this mean the termination letter did not show up...or was I gonna get booted out of class when they eventually received it?

I guess that if another company does a PRIA request the termination letter will show up as well then.

Funny thing is though, my performance reviews are all missing...I even asked for them, but never got them. Am I entitled to them per law? Because if so, it will totally blow the 'cause' for termination out of the water.

Learnt my lesson, paper trail from now on with certified documents.

ALPA was the union, but dont know what they can do now, the little spurt of correspondence then didnt amount to anything.

Pria

You have some companies out there that will always be an "a-hole" no matter what you do to clear the situation or try to get clarification on something to solve a problem. Your saving grace will be the PRIA being limited to 5 years, after that you need not send that company anymore PRIA'S to be completed. I worked for a dirt bag operation 8 years ago, I am glad they are gone.

I was working at company X, interviewed with company Y, got offer a class, resigned from X then got a termination letter (dated 3 days after my resignation letter)....question is, should I say I got fired or no?

Will this show up in PRIA file?

Thanks

I used to do a little recruiting at a small regional and wanted to let you know not to sweat it - You received a termination letter because you resigned. Many airlines use that term for pretty much all situations where a pilot ends his/her employment - whether voluntarily or not. Your PRIA form will probably mention the dates you were employed at your previous carrier, not as much how you resigned/were terminated. However, airlines can tell by the "eligible for rehire" question on how the resignation was handled. Still no big deal if you have a copy of your resignation letter showing that you resigned several days prior to your "termination" and that it was voluntarily. Most HR departments know that many airlines will answer NO to the question "Is this person eligible for rehire?" any time the pilot resigns. I would reply truthfully - resignation and not termination, followed by all the documentation once your interview comes up.

Good luck!

Ps. It’s always a good idea o conduct a thorough background check o yourself just so you know what is in your file.

You have some companies out there that will always be an "a-hole" no matter what you do to clear the situation or try to get clarification on something to solve a problem. Your saving grace will be the PRIA being limited to 5 years, after that you need not send that company anymore PRIA'S to be completed. I worked for a dirt bag operation 8 years ago, I am glad they are gone.

Actually - airlines are only required to verify your employment background information for the last 5 years even though you fill out a 10-year previous employment form. I have never seen a background information request specifying a 5 year time frame - it is the airlines' discretion, not yours, to “leave out” anything older than 5 years. It is up to their discretion to request information going further back than 5 years. If you have something in your file, it won't be automatically "deleted" after 5 years - the information will simply not be sent out, unless...
I was told by John Ryan (FAA PRIA rep.) that it is very unusual for any airline to request additional information from the FAA - they're usually satisfied with the report the FAA sends them.
Always know what’s in your file – it’s equivalent to knowing your FICA score when you’re applying for a mortgage loan!

If you're unsure, contact John A. Ryan at the OKC FSDO, he's in charge of the program and is very helpful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back