• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blackbird

Cargo plane lands safely in Detroit after losing engine

Thursday October 21, 2004
ROMULUS, Mich. (AP) A cargo plane from Chicago landed safely at Detroit Metropolitan Airport early Thursday after losing an engine that might have landed in Lake Michigan.

Federal Aviation Administration officials in Chicago said a Kalitta Air LLC jet took off from O'Hare International Airport late Wednesday. It was 15 miles east of Battle Creek on a path to New York's Kennedy International Airport when it reported mechanical problems with one of its engines.

The Boeing 747-100 was diverted to Detroit Metro in Romulus, where it landed without incident. No one was injured.

When the plane landed, flight officials discovered the engine was gone, the FAA said. It was believed to have been lost over Lake Michigan, but law enforcement officials were searching the Battle Creek area as well.

The National Transportation Safety Board was leading the investigation, and the FAA was lending support.

Kalitta is based in Ypsilanti and offers worldwide air freight service.

^ =

On the Net:

Kalitta Air LLC: www.kalittaair.com

National Transportation Safety Board: www.ntsb.gov

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

That article was confusing. I had to read it twice before I realized that they LOST the engine, as in it fell off of the airplane. At first I thought it was just another dumb sensationalistic reporter trying to tell people that a 747 was going to crash into Lake Michigan because one of the four engines failed.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "losing" an engine. Well at least they had three left.

Wasnt' it a DC-8 back in the 90's that shed an engine just west of Denver somewhere in severe turbulence. I actually met one of the folks who searched for and eventually found the engine up in the mountains.

Actually, Kalitta "lost" another engine over Evergreen, Colorado a number of years back, about 10 or so. The crew also landed safely. It was during the winter and when the snow thawed a guy was hiking and found the "lost" engine up in the hills.

I suppose they should get a better bolt supplier.

MJG...sorry, just saw your post. Didn't mean to repeat.

BTW, where exactly did they find that engine? Was it in the Gore Range or farther east?

It was not the loss of the engine that caused the crash of that AA DC10. It continued to fly for 15 seconds before losing control due to flight control and leading edge asymetries.

The full NTSB report (which is quite long) explains it all.

"It was not the loss of the engine that caused the crash of that AA DC10. It continued to fly for 15 seconds before losing control due to flight control and leading edge asymetries."

Right- Anyone with a smiggen of brains knows the ORD DC10 crashed because the ground was too hard. Or the crash could have been avoided if AA would have at least wrapped a couple of logging chains around the engine mounts and the offending engine to keep it secured. I hope we settled this web argument, once and for all.

Latest resources

Back