Pressure on NWA pilots for 70 seaters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XJHawk,

It's all about the cash. We are managed by a group of jackals that are only interested in getting all the meat off the bone.

A NWA supervisor in DTW told me once that 'Dick' Anderson held a open forum a few years ago, to discuss or explain why NWA needed pay cuts from the mechanics. I guess during the open mike session a grizzly ex-republic type asked Anderson why they needed paycuts while senior management took pay increases and bonuses? The befuddled CEO responded by saying, "I worked hard for my salary and career and don't need to take a paycut"! OUCH.

This is the mentality we are dealing with. As far as ALPA goes, they are all about political agenda. Woerthless would probably defend his $400k+ salary the same way that Anderson defended his. Meanwhile, the guys that make that salary possible are getting booted to the street.

There is no difference between airline management and ALPA - both are in business to make money. If you challenge either one about their way of doing business, you're likely to lose a few fingers.

Well, with the current announcement to park 30 DC-9s, any possible relief on the 70 seat issue went out the window. People are so pissed it's beyond belief.

There will be no 70 seaters for XJ, 9E or anyone else short of a bankruptcy judges order.

Tough luck....

Nu

Funny one, Nu. You're only guessing and hoping like everyone else on this board.
The facts still aren't in. Until then you don't what you're talking about.

I agree with NuBuy.

The company is slaming the mechanics by announcing they are setting down 30 DC-9's and laying off another 900 from their already depleted ranks. Remember when management was going to ground all of the Avro's during your recent contract negotiations? The pilots are just caught in the middle, but they aren't taking it very well. Lots of upset people on our board.

As for working at a regional, while I would love to fly with you guys, I don't need to work in a hostile environment with people like Avrodriverj85 who would have a chip on their shoulder. I'm not throwing stones at you, if positions were reversed I might feel the same way, but I doubt it. Others have been more harsh, posting things like, "I'll enjoy taking their flying, will do it for less and laugh as they furlough more". This individual I would throw stones at. With these thoughts in mind, I'll stay in my current job working as a mechanical engineer and wait on recall. Life's too short, you need to make sure you enjoy each and every day.

I'm not sure what our MEC will do, but I think almost every furloughed pilot that has posted an opinion has one similar to mine. Some of the very negative post from here end up posted on our board, and only make the NWA pilots more resolved to keep the 70 seat flying.

Jim, on furlough since 03/01/2002 and enjoying the extra time with my family

cathal said:
Funny one, Nu. You're only guessing and hoping like everyone else on this board.
The facts still aren't in. Until then you don't what you're talking about.

Incorrecto...

1. Fact: The NWA Pilot agreement doesn't allow 70 seaters, period

2. Fact: There have been NO negotiations between management and the NWA negotiating commitee in several weeks. This comes straight from the MEC Communications Chairman, and backed up by the Council 1 Captain's Rep.

3. Fact: Any agreement is subject to membership ratification, which at this point, would be doubtful unless the airframes were on the NWA certificate and were flown by NWA pilots. Flow up/back is a big maybe...

4. Fact: The only people guessing and hoping here are wishful thinkers at XJ and 9E.

Nu

Last edited:
As far as recall rights for pilots... does that expire at a certain time frame? I thought it was something like 5 years? Just wondering thanks.

SWA/FO said:
As far as recall rights for pilots... does that expire at a certain time frame? I thought it was something like 5 years? Just wondering thanks.

SWA/FO

It has been extended I think, to 8 years I hope it never comes to that!

As far as the 70 seat flying, that is OURS. We are not taking that
from XJ they never owned it.

Of course the devil is in the details. I am sure our furloughed guys/gals
could fly it at a regional rate but the FAs and ground ops would
be handled by who?

I would welcome any of our airlink to our 70 seat as a bridge to the mainline,
but since it is OUR flying we need to take care of our group first.

Just my opinion (which doesn't mean much!)

Dave B

SWA/FO said:

10 Years. It was 7 years, but was extended to 10 with last bridge agreement.

We own the 70 seat flying blah blah blah

What you need to ask yourself is what will keep our company afloat and how can we best benefit and contribute.

Releasing scope and trying to get some sort of Jet for job deal is the only logical answer. It is envitable.

[/QUOTE]

Why the left seat and not the right? What about the F/O who's been sitting in the right seat for 6+ years, paying ALPA dues? A 5 year DC9 F/O get's the left seat before him? I don't think so ! What happened to seniority?

You mainline guys are unbelievable. Entitlements Entitlements. Suck it up and ride the storm just like the rest of us. You took the risk by going to mainline, now ride it out and quit complaining, or get into another field of work. You bitch about management ruining your careers and taking your jobs away, but you want to do the same thing to the regional ranks when things don't go your way.[/QUOTE]

Forgive my observation,

Unfortunately, your company is operating BECAUSE of NWA. As they furlough, Pinnacle gets bigger and hopefully soon Mesaba too.

As an outsider, I also know that NWA holds the scope pretty tight( 70-90 seat flying is all for the NWA pilot...correct me if Im wrong) and the NWA MEC respects their regional counterparts, utmost. In fact I know a few furloughed NWA guys who slid back to PCL as FOs.

I would also be frustrated, like you, if a furloughed guy takes my Captain's seat b4 me. Remember, it is their flying to begin with and it is the way it is unless the mainline flying stays mainline. The airline industry is not a pretty place and I bet you a majority of those furloughed pilots paid their dues in the right seat of some turboprop at a regional.

YOU, my friend, ALSO took the risk of becoming an employee of a very unstable and unpredictable career. So it looks like you will also have to suck it up. Things will change again. And for the good of the career I hope NWA MEC decides to keep the 70-90 seat flying on property, so you can eventually get out of that right seat.

And remember, if it was not for the NWA and the sacrafices of the furloughed bunch, Mesaba & PCL would not be growing or flying jets.

Just an observation from an outsider. Good luck and be patient.

cya

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back