• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preparing for Medicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get out the old Gliem's Study Guide, "First Class Medical Exam Practical Test Questions", and just to be on the safe side, I eat a whole box of Wheaties the night before.

nosehair said:
I get out the old Gliem's Study Guide, "First Class Medical Exam Practical Test Questions", and just to be on the safe side, I eat a whole box of Wheaties the night before.

Don't forget about running three marathons a week beforehand!
:rolleyes:

I'll tell you what not to do.

I woke up the morning of and I had to go pee really really bad. I knew they would need a urine sample for the medical which was only two hours away, but I couldn't hold it. So, I eat my breakfast (rice krispies with a LOT of sugar on top) and now have an hour and a half to go and I know I won't be able to produce anything so I chug a liter of water as a little insurance.

Well, I get to the medical office and my plan worked! I had to pee like a racehorse so producing was not a problem. The problem came when they tested my pee. Apparently (I'm not a doctor so this is my best guess) the liter of water flushed out the massive amount of sugar that I had on my cereal so it looked to them like I had a problem with diabetes. And, it wasn't as if the sugar count (or whatever they call it) was a little higher than normal, it was way up there.

So, they sent me to get a glucouse tolerance test which I couldn't schedule till the next week because the office is closed on weekends and you have to fast for 14 some odd hours before the test. For those not familiar with the test, let me explain it to ya. Basically you walk in after having not eating for long time and they make you chug a bottle of this really thick sugar water. It didn't taste too bad cold but God help you if it isn't. Then for the next few hours they proceed to stick you and draw blood at regular intervals. My veins got raw after the first two so the last one hurt bad. Anyhow, the results came back a few days later and my blood sugar level was well within tolerances.

The lesson of the story: don't put a lot of sugar on your cereal and then chug a bunch of water if you are going to take your medical. It may cause you a week of physical and emotional pain.

Peace!

Skeezer

I going to new places to get a medical. I always having my tests done by some inept nurse.

No preparation necessary, though I would get your dates straight on when you last went to the hospital and why. I heard that the boys in OKC looks for changes when they get the medical applications.

The difference between 1st and 3rd

Do you know what the difference is between a First Class and a Third Class?

About $50.

Unless you're older than 35, then it's about $100 for the EKG.

For all intents and purposes it's the same exam.

Relax, you're blood pressure will come down too.

Re: The difference between 1st and 3rd

mar said:
Do you know what the difference is between a First Class and a Third Class?

About $50.

For all intents and purposes it's the same exam.

Relax, you're blood pressure will come down too.

The price depends on where you live. If you are in an area with quite a few doctors that issue medicals, the price difference is about $10. Also if you are interested in pursuing a career in aviation, they should get a First Class Medical at least for their first issuance.

I agree with the relax point, if you are thinking about wrapping the blood pressure thingy around the nurse's neck, you blood pressure won't be within the limited for even a Third class.

"I can't hear anything with this stethoscope, let me pump it a couple of more notches."

If you're going to get an EKG, lay off the coffee the morning of the exam. Large amounts of caffine can produce irregularities...so I hear.

I try to take it easy the day before the medical. Also I just drink water to help flush out the system.

I had an episode once, where I didn't pass the urine test because of some protien they found. Well it was because I had been excercising the day before, and some males pass this in their urine after working out.

I went home and drank several bottles of Aquafina, and then brought a sample in the next morning. This time there was no problem.

i used to be a full-time smoker. stopped at mcD's for a fatburger, fries and a coke on the way to the doctor. smoked a cigarette after my meal. got there and my blood pressure was just over the limit. i ended up having to hold my breath just to pass. (could be placebo, but it works for me)

anyway, now i schedule them for the mornings and don't eat anything unhealthy before. cereal or something. no coffee. no smokes. no problems.

anyway, back to my original idea. don't smoke weed the night before the medical. :D

Latest resources

Back