Predator pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

Any Predator pilots here on flightinfo? I've got a couple of questions I'd like to fire your way. Thanks!

Wow, they won't even admit to "flying" the Predator on an anonymous internet site!

Wow, they won't even admit to "flying" the Predator on an anonymous internet site!

It's probably because they are too busy to worry about checking an airline bulletin board. A buddy of mine is a DO at a Pred unit and he works his %ss off. Hardly gets any days off and pulls LONG hours. They are all getting new toys...and he says there are some days he goes home thinking about what cool stuff they did....but he works his %ss off.

"pilots"

(snicker)

Any Predator POW's out there?

If your aircraft is shot down by AAA and you're 1,000 miles from the impact crater, you ain't a "pilot".

Any votes for "operator"?

The Houston Air Guard has an ad on their web page offering UPT slots to potential Predator pilots.

"pilots"

(snicker)

Any Predator POW's out there?

If your aircraft is shot down by AAA and you're 1,000 miles from the impact crater, you ain't a "pilot".

Any votes for "operator"?

Kind of depends, I think. If a guy is a born and bred predator "operator" from day one, then I'd say you're right, he's a UAV Operator. If he's a pilot from another weapon system on a predator tour then he's still a pilot. No different from a guy on a non-flying tour who's still a pilot, just not flying airplanes. Except the predator guy, as DTFL stated earlier, is more than likely doing a lot more for the war effort than any three staff pukes at CENTCOM, Pentagon, AETC or anywhere else.

There's also a whole new ball of wax when it comes to logging flight time, combat time, getting air medals, "deployment" credit and a whole slew of other things. You're right in the sense that if a guy isn't putting his butt on the line when he "flies" it's hard to lump anything they do in with actual flying in the AOR. Truth to be told, it's a whole new ball game and the rules are still being written when it comes to UAVs and Predator ops. I wish I had the answers, but I don't.

Last edited:
As a LTC with a bad back--if I had a predator unit around here I must might consider signing up.

"Whadcha' do today, dad?...."

"I shot a hellfire off a UAV and blew up four *&^*$ terrorists...then I went to Walmart and bought you this pretty barbie on the way home..."

No--it ain't raging in a 4 v 4 or an LFE...but God bless those pilots (and the nerds too) that are getting it done...

Last edited:
Are the UAV 'pilot' slots still open to Navs with FAA Commerical pilot tickets?

Latest resources

Back