• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Predator pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why does the AF feel it needs pilots to fly the UAVs, meanwhile the Army is doing it with E-1,2,3s fresh out of training? Talk about turf protection and a gross waste of limited resources and taxpayer dollars.

xtwapilot

Why does the AF feel it needs pilots to fly the UAVs, meanwhile the Army is doing it with E-1,2,3s fresh out of training? Talk about turf protection and a gross waste of limited resources and taxpayer dollars.

xtwapilot

Navs "fly" UAV's also. I think the difference is that the Air Force employs weapons, hellfires, and the army UAV's don't.

BTW, I think in Air Force terms UAV pilots are referred to as Generalist Pilots. You have mobility pilots (C130, etc..), fighter, bomber, etc...

Navs "fly" UAV's also.

Navs that do have to have a comm/instrument ticket. I'm seriously looking into, 'cause with fuel prices like they are I'm more and more certain that the UAV's role will continue to expand.

Navs "fly" UAV's also. I think the difference is that the Air Force employs weapons, hellfires, and the army UAV's don't.

BTW, I think in Air Force terms UAV pilots are referred to as Generalist Pilots. You have mobility pilots (C130, etc..), fighter, bomber, etc...

I understand what you are saying, but, it's not like the Army guys don't know how to use weapons. Having split my military time pretty evenly between the Army and the AF, it seems that what the Army does with enlisted and Warrants all of a sudden becomes too complicated for E's, and W's and can only be done by an AF pilot. Even the Navy has recently changed it's position and will recruit enlisted for flying positions, but in the AF, even to fly a UAV, you have to be pilot. Just an observation, once again it seems to be a waste of limited resources and tax dollars.
BTW, I noticed that you are a red tail, and currently at CAL, do you plan to return, or have you found a new home?

Xtwapilot

Just curious

Taking this discussion in a slightly different direction, can any current or former UAV operators comment on their civilian job prospects? I've read articles predicting a massive increase in UAV ops in the civilian market in the coming years, and I was curious whether this might open up job prospects for those of us (not ex-military) who might be interested in trying to train up for this as a future career. It would seem that the projected growth in this sector might quickly exhaust the supply of experienced ex-military operators.

Even if it's not "real" flying, it would sure be more interesting and more connected to aviation than selling insurance or real estate.

I'm the OIC of a Navy UAV detachment in Iraq right now. The program is mostly contractors flying the airplanes. They recruit guys with a pilot's license and preferably large RC experience although they are getting away from the RC aspect. It pays well although it requires deploying to sandy places. A couple of the guys working here are trying to leverage their experience out here into a better position like predator.

Navs that do have to have a comm/instrument ticket. I'm seriously looking into, 'cause with fuel prices like they are I'm more and more certain that the UAV's role will continue to expand.

JF you can BET it will!!! The attack squadron at Nellis (and I believe the 3 SOS) has the B model Reapers with beefed up wings and larger engines and a wide array of armament. I've seen concepts of Global hawk type jammer platforms..and the Boeing and Northrop UCAVs look interesting.
I honestly believe the weather mission will be flown by UAVs in 10 years.

dtfl says
I honestly believe the weather mission will be flown by UAVs in 10 years

Why do you think it will take that long? I think the Varsity Team ( AD AF ) is licking its Politically Correct chops looking at those 10 WCs sitting on our ramp.

Latest resources

Back