Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jmmccutc

Go away Peg.
ok, i'm just about to go on the mock oral/ride that my school does before they send you with the FED's for your CFI ticket...my prepared topic for the presentation part is forces acting on an aircraft in a turn, i've written a pretty killer ground school (considering i'm limited to 20mins) but i'm stuck on one thing...an attention getter...you know that crafty little phrase that you open the lesson with that just "sucks" the student in and makes them want to learn all about what you're gonna teach...i had a few ideas but i'm not sure how they'd go over infront of our cheif pilot...so i thought i'd throw an invitaion out there to see who can come up with a creative attention getter...

areas to avoid:

1. beer/adult beverages
2. hookers/dancers
3. the Pope

(I had ideas that involved all three at the same time but didn't think it'd be appropriate...lol)

thanks, Jake

just toss an M-80 (I know they don't make them anymore) towards the back of the classroom...as soon as that baby goes off (and they recover) everyone will be looking at you wide-eyed. Then you say, "Now that I have your attention, we can get started. Today we are going to talk about..."

Good luck!

Ever been in a Turkish prison?

On second thought, don't use that one.

Serious question Jmmccutc: While you were preparing for this lesson what did *you* learn?

Like most things it's usually better if you approach it from a personal (genuine) standpoint.

Did you hit the finer points like:

--the change in relative wind and weathervaning effect
--adverse yaw and why one aileron goes up more than the other one goes down
--the need for opposite aileron in a steep turn

etc...

You might have to help us out a little here. It's hard to impress the Feds (they think they know it all anyway....)

And good luck man.

Jmmccutc said:
ok, i'm just about to go on the mock oral/ride that my school does before they send you with the FED's for your CFI ticket...my prepared topic for the presentation part is forces acting on an aircraft in a turn, i've written a pretty killer ground school (considering i'm limited to 20mins) but i'm stuck on one thing...an attention getter...you know that crafty little phrase that you open the lesson with that just "sucks" the student in and makes them want to learn all about what you're gonna teach...i had a few ideas but i'm not sure how they'd go over infront of our cheif pilot...so i thought i'd throw an invitaion out there to see who can come up with a creative attention getter...

areas to avoid:

1. beer/adult beverages
2. hookers/dancers
3. the Pope

(I had ideas that involved all three at the same time but didn't think it'd be appropriate...lol)

thanks, Jake
I empathize with you...

I was prepping a few minutes before my CFI ride with a couple of classmates and had drawn diagrams on the chalk board and was doing some classroom flying and the DE walks in and says, "oral's over, let's go fly!"

That Jimbrowski must have been listening in at the door...tripped me the hell out.

Sounds like you are preparing well...good luck with the ride.

Latest resources

Back