Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoATP

AUSTRALIA MAY SLASH FLIGHT TIME FOR CO-PILOTS
Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) said on Tuesday that it plans to introduce a new multi-crew pilot license. The license would be issued to pilots who train specifically to become a first officer in an air-transport operation, and would require just 240 hours of total time, with 70 hours of that in an actual aircraft, and only 10 hours solo. Current rules require at least 1,500 hours total time. The change would be allowed under new international rules due to take effect in November. CASA says the aim of the rule change is to improve air safety, but Australia's aviation community already is speaking out against it.

Our aviaition community should be against it as well. This is scary (but we almost have it in practice!)

It already has happend, how is this different than Mesa's Developmental Program? I like their current rules, 1,500 total hours.

I'm not nearly as anti low-timer as a lot of people, but I cringe at the very idea of someone flying an airliner who has as much time in actual airplanes as a typical private pilot applicant. That is downright scary.

And what does SKY require to upgrade on the 120?
It's happened

Well, since you can't get an ATP with less than 1500 TT, and you have to have an ATP to upgrade, I would say that they require at least 1500 TT.

Goddamn that sucks!

I know why they are doing it though. There is a terrible shortage of `qualified' pilots over there. First the flight schools had trouble finding guys then the small cargo and freight operators. Now even the small multi turbine guys are having dramas so it must be flowing on to the airlines.

The cost of flight training back home is really bad too. In the region of 70-80k for PPL - CPL - Command instrument rating.

The previous poster is right though, its going to suck for pilot pay. Qantas is still one of the airlines that pays pretty well and 1st year FO is still on something like 50k there.

Hopefully CASA doesnt go and kill the golden goose.

There is a terrible shortage of `qualified' pilots over there.

The thing that sucks is you have to have an aussie license to apply to qantas. I don't want to drop how many thousands with the chance of an interview.

(born in penrith, now flying in the US for a 121 carrier)

The thing that sucks is you have to have an aussie license to apply to qantas. I don't want to drop how many thousands with the chance of an interview.

It would be worth it just to be surrounded by Aussie chicks.

yeah that does blow because if and when they do experience shortages they are basically cutting themselves off from a whole heap of qualified applicants. I bet there are plenty of guys here that would take a job with qantas and would live in Oz if they had the chance.

I understand they want to give aussies a fair shake first but we get he chance to come here and work for a US carrier with our ICAO ratings so why shouldn't they as well??.

Anyway, thats my rant. :)

Latest resources

Back