PPL Training this summer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

I am currently 16, turning 17 on September 16. I am planning on going to a Flight school in Florida in 2 weeks to begin and finish my PPL training. My dilemma is that my school starts up on September 2. Is there anyway I can take the checkride before my 17th Birthday?? I would hate to come home empty handed and take the checkride in a different FBO. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd schedule the checkride for your birthday in Florida. Fly in the day before and brush up for a couple of hours and go over your paperwork. Get a good night's sleep, pass the checkride, and fly back to school. I can't imagine a college professor that will have a problem with that, if you explain your absence beforehand. Maybe you can work in some subject related math or science problem with your professor's help.

I don't know of anyone who has taken the ride prior to the birthday.

Private Checkride

The regs are the regs. To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, you have to be at least 17 years of age. 14 CFR 61.103(a). As Timebuilder suggested, get the absence excused from your teacher and schedule your ride for your birthday. Tell your Florida flight school upon arrival that you need to schedule your checkride on your birthday; Florida examiners are usually heavily booked.

Good luck with your training. What a great way to spend the summer!

Oh watch out the weather is a little crummy this time of year. Low ceiliengs and tons of convective activity. So I hope your school that you are going to is planning for that.

Oh to add to that in the past month I think I have only had one day without rain. And I have had 6 canceled flights.

Waiver

You do have one other option. Take a look at AIM 4-1-22, Requests for Waivers and Authorizations from Title 14. You can go down to your local FSDO and fill out FAA Form 7711-2. The FSDO will review it, or if it doesn't have waiver athority, it will forward it on to the office that does have waiver athority.

Since the dates are so close, its possible it will be approved.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back