Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Potential financial disaster looming for FedEx?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atpcliff said:
Hi!

I know a guy who drives for FedEx. He's not very happy with how the company treats him.

Cliff
GRB
It's the pilot's fault. . .

The RJ's did it.........

..okay, okay...

Seriously...in the past the threat during work actions was Fred would "shut down the company and make it a trucking firm..." Well...seems to me that perhaps our GROUND based unit may not be as profitable as they think it might, especially if all these truckers ARE FedEx employees. Guys need to stew on this when they get the "red letters" or other management scare tactics. Unlike 1998, there ARE other p1ssed off work groups right now, and there are about to be a LOT of folks upset at rising health care, shrinking retirements, and outsourcing. If anyones has looked, the issues at heart of these negotiations FDX are scope, healthcare, retirement, and work rules...not compensation. I think the other folks on the property can relate to all of those items...

Fed Ex's biggest problem is that its service is more expensive and not nearly as good as UPS. Fed Ex has been playing "me too" for a long time now. UPS bought Mail Boxes Etc and now has a grip on those of us with small business accounts. The Kinkos stores are too big and too diversified to make handy (meaning - really quick) shipping centers.

The worst part of Fed Ex is their ground staff. The people at the Fed Ex shipping centers are too focused on their internal procedures to care about customers' needs. The only small business people I know who are still using Fed Ex are those who just have not got the situational awareness to realize that UPS is a better, cheaper, product. For example lets say your Fed Ex shipment gets to the local distribution center early - will they deliver it early like UPS does? NOOOO, they hold it. Can you pick it up? Nooo. Could you pay more and go pick it up, Nooo. Once your stuff is given to Fed Ex for shipment they treat it like it is their stuff. Can we use our discounts with Fed Ex? Nooo. Hey, I just carried a Fed Ex pilot to Memphis - can we jumpseat on Fed Ex? Nooooo! Fed Ex should hire David Spade to do their advertisements.

At least Fed Ex employees make ASA's gate agents in Atlanta look like Dale Carnegie course graduates in comparison.

If Fed Ex loses the Postal contract, I think they might get into trouble. There is nothing so special about Fed Ex to warrant shipping rates 30% to 40% above UPS. Beyond that, did I mention that their service sucks?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back