Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Potential financial disaster looming for FedEx?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPS ain't cheaper and...

I recently sent 2 bicycles I sold on ebay. I looked at all of the shipping options and FedEx Ground was the cheapest by about $30 (about 25% less than UPS).

If you are concerned about being able to pick up your package at the counter then I think you have shipping avenues you need to worry about...neither UPS nor FedEx locate their counters at convenient locations and going to the counter to pick up a package at UPS ain't no joy ride. The UPS Store is the best way to recieve packages from anybody...they are more expensive to send, though they claim to have UPS "counter" rates.

About 6 months ago when DHL made a marketing push toward FedEx/UPS I thought they were on to something...but nothing really came of it. Don't forget, DHL is (I believe) majority owned by Deutsche Poste.

This FedEx Ground turmoil is old news. I've been reading about it in the WSJ for almost a year. Some lawyers smell class action and the pot gets stirred.

I looked at buying a local FedEx Ground operation. What Propsync is saying is true. Also, most of the FedEx Ground operators I spoke with own the "company" and don't drive. They hire a driver for $100 a day. It is a sweet business: work your way up to 5 trucks (the max allowed I believe), have about 7 drivers and you have a cash MACHINE! On average a truck will NET $70000 year.

I didn't buy the business, another local operator snapped it up.

You can look at most any franchise, which this isn't, but is very similar to, and you will find people who hate the system but like the cash flow.

Oh if we could just make everybody happy.

Dash8Driver - That picture of your woman not only freaks me out, it gives me a headache. Can't you get a new woman like Sandman2122?

BR549....if you post rings true, we'll remember it was YOU that said it first!!

Fins, don't make the FedEx shipping discount/jumpseat error.

The FX jumpseat is between your pilot group and thiers.

The shipping discount is between your company's pass office and fedex, for all employees.

IOW.

Jumpseat agreements... pilots only.
Shipping agreement... all employees.

Where does ABX fit? And, does DHL still fly airplanes?

I grew up in Southern Ohio, and I am watching ABX to see if there is any possibility there for the future even though now there isn't. Out of many of the discussions here, I find it strange that one of the biggest factors isn't where you live, which is one of my biggest factors, hence the ABX watching. This seems like a good place to ask you guys where you think ABX will fit into the Brown/Purple/Yellow picture in the future?
In batting around this "where to work after the air force" thing, I want my cake and eat it too: Live where I want, not commute, make big bucks, work half the time everyone else does, have a regular, normal schedule that doesn't mess up my delicate, fragile body clock...in short I want to be a freight pilot! (rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!). Unfortunately, the reality is that my eggs all being in the "I fly airplanes" basket is directly, perfectly antagonistic to anything "normal". Unfortunately, the money and relative low-stress simply still make it all too appealing. Ok, now to the half-full glass: the other truth is, cry all you want whatever your situation, but us pilots got it good. If you don't think so, try something else for a year (and I've been shot at).

Discuss...

Pilots probably live where they want to live because they know that the company can close a base or move aircraft around and you can get displaced out of a domicile. Why move somewhere to get into domicile and then get displaced out? That said, place like LOU and MEM are pretty safe if you happen for fly for Brown or Purple. If ABX works for you and you live near their primary domicile/HQ that may be a perfect fit for you. Commuting isn't the end of the world, but I know I'd rather avoid it too.

Thank you for your service and I hope you find a job that you are happy with, but don't sell short the sacrifices pilots make in order to keep the schedule moving. Yes, the work isn't HARD, but getting there and surviving the constant checks and medicals and trying to balance your home life are HARD. Don't sell yourself (or the rest of us) short because it is called work for a reason.

Good luck.

FJ

Falcon, I appreciate honest words from the heart, thank you. Thanks for the gentle correction, you're right, we do work very hard, and I know I have much to learn about the other side of sacrifices and the teeter totter of balancing family life in the civilian world once I make that transition soon. We all have sacrifices, just different kinds. I just listen to the disgust and discontent on here, and try to make my attempt to shine a little positive light when I can and get pilots to believe we're in this together even though there are a lot of us scrapping for the same left seat. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, not too many jobs (except maybe police and firefighters) entail the kind of sacrifice that those in the military make every day. When I am having a bad day or getting up at 1:30 am to go to work I try to think of our troops out on the front line getting shot at and sleeping in tents and realize that I have it easy compared to them. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

The old CG (and Navy too) saying was that a bitching sailor was a happy sailor, and I think the same can often be said of pilots in general (or maybe humans in general). Perhaps that is why you read a lot of bitching and moaning on these boards. Better here I guess than being miserable all day (or night) with your coworkers!

FJ

Lafe,

First--lots of airline pilots get shot at too. On their time off. For less money than they could be making at their airline job. I work with a bunch of them at FDX. Everytime I was ever in the sandbox there were a ton of guys from the Guard, and that hasn't changed during Noble Eagle or Iraqi Freedom. Please don't get too self righteous just because you are active duty--there are lots of folks in the game right now.

Next--commuting won't kill you if you keep an open mind. Read a good book or write your memoirs when traveling. I did my ACSC all while on the road. Buy your own light plane when you upgrade and fly it to work every once in a while to make your commute something to look forward to. Spring for nicer than average crashpad or home away from home. I know a lot of very happy commuters who live in their dream home in Boise, Colorado Springs, Lake Tahoe, the Keys, their Ohio farm, etc etc. If you continue to fly Vipers in the ANG I'd bet your best Q of life will be living close to your ANG base. Keep an open mind--for every dude happy in MEM or SDF there are a bunch (like me) that are very happy with our choices too.

In any case--good luck. There is some room over here on the "dark side" if you ever decide to give it a shot. See Bunker, Magnum, or a host of other Viper drivers for their take...

Hey Lafe,

I flew heavies in the USAF and currently fly heavies for FedEx as a dreaded "freight pilot" - I think it's a fine job - I feel lucky having the opportunity to do it - you should too if that day comes ..........

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back