Post-solo privleges?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jknight8907

My dad has the idea that after I solo, I can base my training airplane at our local field in a hangar, instead of at the airport where I'm taking lessons (no hangar there), on the basis that after I solo I can simply get a signoff after each lesson to fly the 30-some-odd miles for the next lesson.

Is this legal/possible/etc? Also, let's say I want to fly from here to Gulf Shores, AL by myself. (obviously after my dual and solo cross countries...) Could I get a cross-country signoff for that 400-mile trip? (and obviously the 400-mile return)

thanks!

it is possible but highly unlikely due to 61.93 c 2 B which basically states that for a student to fly solo the instuructor must have reviewed the planning under the known conditions. if your instructor is at another field then they cannot review your planning under these known conditions (preflight planning also includes a preflight inspection of the airplane).

you might be able to talk to your instructor to drive to your field and schedule your planning so that it is more convienient for you, but as for solo flight back & forth I don't think it's going to happen. What your father might be confusing it with is the within 50 nm endorsement which allows a student to make repeated x-c to an airport after having been trained on the route and airspace. however in that case the instructor still needs to review the flight before authorizing it.

I think your dad may be confusing the privilidges of a student pilot with a private pilot. after you receive the private pilot certificate this will be a much more viable option, but not untill then. you have not yet earned those privilidges.

Ah, gotcha. I figured there would be some regulation, nice to be sure about it though. Thanks

61.93(b)(1) will permit this once you have your solo cross country endorsement.

Jknight.
Ask your instructor what he thinks is best for you, regarding plane placement as well as the 400 mile X-C. I mean, you're paying him good money to make you the best pilot you can possibly be, right? Take his advice. He's the one dealing with you and your skills and your general situation. We're just a bunch of opinionated web-weenies who may or may not know what the heck we're talking about. But since I'm already yacking... Why not wait until you've taken your checkride to take the long trip? By the time you get your dual and solo X-C's done, it's almost checkride time anyway.
Why does your dad want the plane based away from the instructor? Sounds like a bad idea.
My copy of 61.93(b)(1) shows a 25 mile limit.

Thanks for the input guys

gern_blanston said:
Why does your dad want the plane based away from the instructor? Sounds like a bad idea.
My copy of 61.93(b)(1) shows a 25 mile limit.

The main reasoning is that it would be in a hangar, as opposed to on the ramp as it is now.

About 15 years back I remember someone getting an endorsement for continued solo flights from X to Y (appr. 18 miles) for flight instruction. Don't know if the regs have changed since then. It's not cross country. Why not let your instructor review the flight by telephone?

HEADWIND

I personally wouldn't sign a student off for a 400nm flight. I don't want students doing any personal business on their XC flights. Get-there-itis has killed many pilots and I wouldn't want one of my students in that type of situation. A 400nm flight and the return would take quite a few hours. Probably at least 8 once you account for refueling. Weather can change a lot in that amount of time.

moxiepilot said:
What your father might be confusing it with is the within 50 nm endorsement which allows a student to make repeated x-c to an airport after having been trained on the route and airspace. however in that case the instructor still needs to review the flight before authorizing it.

61.93(b)(2) is specifically for student solo flights to another airport WITHOUT an endorsement for each flight. Read the last paragraph (iv) "however, for repeated solo x-c flights within 50 nm, seperate endorsements are not required for each flight."

...and you go, jknight, 400nm is a good long one, but not beyond the scope of training for PP. Don't let the naysayers stop you - that's your instructor's job.
I don't know you and your abilities, or the layout of the terrain, or many other factors which have to be considered, but that is up to you and your instructor.

Latest resources

Back