Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible roadblocks to getting the medical?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I am 20 years old, and can honestly say that I'm in pretty good condition. I don't take any medications at all, have 20/20 vision, no current physical defects, and I don't smoke and rarely do I drink. Despite this, I'm worried about the chances of obtaining a medical certificate in the future, due to some pasts issues...

About 11 years ago, when I was in third grade, I may have been diagnosed with ADD and I started taking ridelin. I took it for about 3 years after that, so I have been off of it for about 8 years now. To be honest, I don't fully understand why I was ever on the drug, because I completed my last 6 years of school without the drug, and always did fine. Nevertheless, I have a feeling this may be an issue when it comes time to get the medical. I would really appreciate anyone's feelings on this.

The other problem I've had in my history is acid reflux disease. Sounds minor, but mind you I went undiagnosed from birth to about 14 years old. 14 years of acid was pure hell on my esophagus and almost left me with cancer. I've had numberouse surgeries to stretch my esophagus, and my last surgery was on my stomach. The procedure involved wrapping a portion of my stomach around the bottom of my esophagus, to keep the deadly acid from incinerating my esophagus. That final surgery was about 6 years ago, and I've had no problems since.

These two issue I feel may be a factor in obtaining my medical. I would REALLY appreciated any advise someone may be willing to offer.

1.) I am 17 now, and was treated for ADHD from age 12-15
2.) When I applied for my medical at age 16, it was sent to the FAA for review
3.) 12 months later they requested extremely extensive pyscological testing
3.) I got my specail issuance medical a few weeks ago
4.) They will follow me, and require periodic testing for a few years
So yes, you can get it, but only if you can prove to a few doctors that you no longer have it. Also, one of the biggest mistakes I made was not calling the FAA. CALL THE FAA EVERY SINGLE DAY WHEN YOU ARE WAITING FOR SOMETHING!!! I cannot stress this enough, it makes things go faster. I even have the number memorized: 1-800-350-5286, press 5, press 1.

Unanswrd: You need to find an experienced AME (Aeromedical Examiner) who has experience dealing with the FAA on the Ritalin history. Since you quit taking it when you were 12, it should not be a permanent problem. I'm sure you're not the first with this issue.

Yikes, the acid reflux sounds like it was pretty nasty. I don't think that will be a problem, either. You can look up the disqualifying items in Part 67 of the FARs, and, of course, talk about it with your AME.

C

Don't know about the ADD problem. I do know about the Acid Reflux.

About two yrs ago I had some bad stomach probs. The Doc did an upper GI and found damage to my esophagus. There were 4 areas that were tested for cancer. Thank God they were negative. I was put on Nexium for a year. I go back for upper GI's every year. The FAA ever said anything about it. I took all my lab work and pictures in with me to the AME and he sent it to OKC.

Check with your AME, as it sounds like your problem was worse than mine. Good luck, 265

Thank you all for the advise. I may talk to my instructor, because I think I might want to deal with the medical early, instead of hitting possible roadblocks when I'm ready to solo.

Again, I really appreciate the advise.

Corona said:
Yikes, the acid reflux sounds like it was pretty nasty.
You're not kidding. The whole 14 year ordeal was by far the worst thing I've ever experienced. For as long as I can remember, I've always had problems swallowing my food. Countless times within my childhood I can remember sneaking off somewhere at home or school to spit out chewed food, because I simply could not swallow it. It got so bad that I literally couldn't go a day without choking on my food. It was extremely scary. At times I could not even get my own saliva down. When I finally went in for an endoscopy, the doctor couldn't even get the endoscope down my esophagus! He had to use a scope originally designed for infants! They took biopsys to check for cancerous tissue, and given the 14-year history, it is UNBELIEVABLE that they came back negative. As I matured out of childhood, one thing that has always pissed me off is the total ignorance displayed by my pediatrician, and other doctors. Too many times had my parents told the doctors that something was wrong, and that I couldn't eat properly. Each and every time, they blew it off, claiming I would "out grow" it. At times I would be threatened by my doctor, telling me that if I didn't go home and eat, I would be hospitalized, with IV's hydrating me. Well, I've been there too. The final straw was when doctors suggested to my parents that I might have a PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM. At that point I wanted to commit suicide. I knew there was something wrong, but nobody would listen. Finally, that endoscopy put a name and a face to my problems, but I feel it was 14 years too late.

You ought to be find with the ADD problem. The FAA only requires you be off meds for 90 days and get a note from your doc stating you're stable and don't need meds anymore. Part 67 does not list ADD as disqualifying. As for the acid reflux I can't help you there. Good luck and please keep us posted on how things proceed.

Medical issuance issues

Two ideas.

1. You should join the Airline Owners and Pilots Association. You should join anyway, and, as a new student, now is a good time for you to join, but you should also join because AOPA offers confidential medical and legal counseling to its members. In other words, as an AOPA member you can obtain guidance regarding your question.

2. www.leftseat.com is an excellent aviation medical website.

Frankly, I would be hesitant going to an AME for advice. You have to remember that AMEs are the FAA's industrial physicians, meaning they have the FAA's interests and not yours at heart. Take it from someone who knows. Something like going to Workers' Comp doctors for treatment of industrial injuries. These doctors will look out for the Workers' Comp carrier's interests before they will look out for your's.

Seek advice from medical people who are interested in getting you flying and not grounding you. Good luck with getting your medical. You'll likely get it without problems.

Last edited:
UnAnswerd said:

negative. As I matured out of childhood, one thing that has always pissed me off is the total ignorance displayed by my pediatrician, and other doctors. Too many times had my parents told the doctors that something was wrong, and that I couldn't eat properly. Each and every time, they blew it off, claiming I would "out grow" it. At times I would be threatened by my doctor, telling me that if I didn't go home and eat, I would be hospitalized, with IV's hydrating me. Well, I've been there too. The final straw was when doctors suggested to my parents that I might have a PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM. At that point I wanted to commit suicide. I knew there was something wrong, but nobody would listen.
Bobbysamd has a good point: Some AMEs don't care about getting you flying, though I don't know how they resolve that with the Hippocratic Oath. You can find a sympathetic one through your instructor. AOPA is a good source; you should join them anyway. They've done wonders for GA since 9/11.

Every time I hear someone talking about how we need to put caps on medical malpractice awards, I hear or read a story like yours. Those doctors of yours don't need a medical practice; they need to push a broom or something for a living.

To illustrate the point futher, read about another 15-year-old who didn't get help in time:
http://www.managedcarereform.org/managedcarereform/lewis.html

Finally, and most importantly: Don't ever, ever, ever repeat to anyone in this business anything about having wanted to commit suicide, even when you were 14. That is a sure way to never having a pilot certificate. I hope you've gotten some counseling after feeling that way at such a young age.

Good luck,
C

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back