Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Positives and Negatives of getting hired by Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If airlinepilotcentral.com is correct then NWA has a total of 52 widebodies out of a fleet of 380 aircraft or 13.7%. The NWA 747-400 payrate is comparable to our 767-400 rate at DAL (177/hr 747 versus 178/hr 767-400) and $11/hr less than our 777 rate.

All this being said I would rather have a merger of DAL/NWA any day of the week and twice on Sunday than merging with US Airways.

Thanks for the analysis, however it does not account for acft on order for delivery. I do agree that I'd much rather see a DAL hookup if there has to be a merger, which I hope we can all avoid. I do not want to get too worked up about integration issues - even if were anounced tomorrow, it would be 3-4 yrs before it actually happened, and the respective MEC's will sort that out.....

So IF I was actually lucky enough to have a job offered to me at Delta and FedEX, from what I have read from you guys so far, FedEx is the logical choice because of job security, pay, benifits, and moving up the seniority ladder (with Delta's young pilot group and the age 65 thing, the only movement for a guy like me would be if they continue to hire for growth. Nobody would be retiring for another 10-15 years.) Only negative at FedEx more night flying. I could care less what is in the back of the airplane.

However, I do want to move to Atlanta!! That is a plus on the Delta side.

Last edited:
That's why all your friends and relatives ask you: " Oh, so you're working there until you get your License to fly people?"

The friends and relatives of those getting hired now are much smarter than that. Most of the american public is too, they know the state of the industry.

I did have a FA once ask me if I had my application in with them when I was jumpseating. I told him that I couldn't afford the paycut or extra days away from home.

Only negative at FedEx more night flying. I could care less what is in the back of the airplane.

However, I do want to move to Atlanta!! That is a plus on the Delta side.

My bud at FedEx has been there 5 years and says he could hold an exclusive day schedule.

Atlanta? U feeling alright? :D

tomgoodman...Good One! I believe that statement was from Doris Day or was it Doris Davis? (am I getting too oblique?)

My bud at FedEx has been there 5 years and says he could hold an exclusive day schedule.

Atlanta? U feeling alright? :D

I have lived in the ATL for 35 years and love it. Midtown, VA Highlands, Dunwoody, S. Springs, Roswell ,Alpharetta etc, great city, mucho women. Been everywhere in the states and I choose to live in ATL. Very happy!!!!

Megadeth,

Come on man, obviously it's not all night flying...everyone knows that. But seriously, freight companies do a majority of it in the dark. Secondly, i'm sure it takes a long ass time to be senior enough to hold a good sked. with a majority of day flying. Let's not try and sugar coat it. This is why in the pre 9/11 days, most pilots preferred the major airlines over freight jobs.

I'm not trying to say that FedEx or UPS are bad jobs at all, it's just that many people don't dream of preflighting an ancient bucket at midnight to start the "day".

You hit the nail on the head! You definitely don't want to work here. Time to get back out to the pool and recover with a cold one. I've only got 40+ hours left on this Singapore layover before it's back to the salt mine. Are my shoulders getting burned? :laugh:

Actually leaving active duty with the military. Got my apps in a bunch of places, but the first to call was Delta. Totally suprised me. My interview is at the end of Jan. I have been leaning heavily toward the cargo guys, but it is a slow process to get hired.

Dude - run SCREAMING from passenger ops; instead, work your buddy network to get hired by the box boys. That's where the future lies. The passenger airline world will never get back to where it was in the glory years. We may get a small % back, but inflation has eroded our earnings so badly, well, we are at best a middle class profession with a bleak future.

Besides, the FA's are all old, and fall into one of the following categories:

1) Married; unwilling to play.
2) Weird Woman, lives alone with multiple cats.
3) Divorced Psycho woman with bad collagen lips and a desperate look.

Besides, the FA's are all old, and fall into one of the following categories:

1) Married; unwilling to play.
2) Weird Woman, lives alone with multiple cats.
3) Divorced Psycho woman with bad collagen lips and a desperate look.
The FAs or female pilots?

Latest resources

Back