Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Positives and Negatives of getting hired by Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hazen

Got an interview offer from Delta. Wondering what the pros and cons would be getting hired by them in these troubled times.

Got an interview offer from Delta. Wondering what the pros and cons would be getting hired by them in these troubled times.

Go to the interview and get the job. Then decide how long you want to stay. In the mean time you have a job at DL!

Andy

Working with ME...... Wait, that would be a positive, right?? I will buy the third and fifth beers....

No, this job is a good one, and as long as we don't have to downsize due to a certain merger, then things will be fine. If another merger materializes though, that could be good for all of us. If Bethune gets his way with consolidation, and we merge with the right partner, it could be really good.

As far as the flying goes, well, no more FE or third seat, the planes are nice, the bases are pretty good. Overall, it is a good job I think. The pay will eventually go back up (maybe not as high as in the past), and if you want to fly INTL flights, you have a good chance at getting it fairly quick. Lots of variety with our different fleets, which is good too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If you are even remotely considering a career here you need to be the first one through the door when the hiring cycle begins. Look there hasn't been a pilot seniority number given out since July 2001.

Being on the bottom anywhere leaves you exposed to being laid off. With a merger scenario, even the traditional 10% safety margin might not be enough.

But, it's a job at a major. It's a number. It's a better situation than those who don't have a number.

It might even outweigh having to fly with the General...;) TC

where are you working now? Cause my answer will depend on what you are doing at this time. Someone giving up a good job to come here is taking a chance. If this merger goes through, I have no doubt about the bottom 500-1000 Delta pilots will be furloughed.

Having said that, if we fight off this merger, or merge with NW, I think you would be in a great position.

IF someone were in a position to sit back and wait a few months to see what develops, I would do it. But I know we don't always have that option. You apply as soon as possible and the interview may come next week, or it may come in six months.

Good luck.
PS on a side note, its interesting that people are even asking this question. Goes to show pretty much no one believes Parker when he says no furloughs.

Actually leaving active duty with the military. Got my apps in a bunch of places, but the first to call was Delta. Totally suprised me. My interview is at the end of Jan. I have been leaning heavily toward the cargo guys, but it is a slow process to get hired. I think I will eventually get an interview with them.

Delta is perfect for me as far as the bases, variety of flying, etc.. The discouraging thing for me is retirement?? and job security??

I have heard I would be slow to move up the seniority list due to the young pilot group at Delta. Any truth to that? I guess it would be good to be right behind guys hired in 2001 though.

Actually leaving active duty with the military. Got my apps in a bunch of places, but the first to call was Delta. Totally suprised me. My interview is at the end of Jan. I have been leaning heavily toward the cargo guys, but it is a slow process to get hired. I think I will eventually get an interview with them.

in your shoes I would say you have nothing to lose. If it works out, great. If not, you are no worse off than you would have been by leaving active duty with no job offer.

Long term, if we can avoid a merger with USAir I think you will have a bright future with Delta. I was in the same boat you would be in......hired after a long period of furloughs and no new hires. Being at the leading edge of a hiring period can make a big difference.

As far as retirement, I think what we have now is just fine. Its a 9% DC plan along with a 2% 401k match. And I would bet we can increase that some in the future. The benefit of this is you are not tied to the company. If things don't work out down the road, you can leave and take all your retirement money with you.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Don't trust them that you're hired, until you have a class date. Don't slow down your job search one bit until you got an I.D.

Ask me how I know this....

You said it yourself, getting hired at one of the freight outfits is a slow process. Take the Delta job if they offer it. Run like he!! when a better offer comes along. The airlines loyalty to you should be your loyalty to the airline. Good luck! May every interview result in a job offer!:beer:

Latest resources

Back