Portland ME, cool stuff to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kepjet

I have an overnight in Portland, Maine on New Year's Eve. Can anyone give me insight on some things to do? I've heard downtown is pretty cool. My wife is going to join me on the overnight. Any advice on restaurants, etc. would be appreciated. There is about a 19-20 hour layover. I'm not looking to get crazy (this time), just searching for a nice place to take my wife. Thank you in advance!!

We go there all the time......Demillos is a great restaurant for seafood. If price is an issue, go to Newick's......14 buck whole Lobstahs. Lunch is pretty easy too.......Sebago Brewery, 3 dollar Dewey's.

As for things to do there in winter????.......Nuttin

Have a good time........

Try:

http://www.portlandmaine.com/

If doing Dimillo's, you may want to ask about reservations for NY eve. In fact, that goes for a lot of places.

Portland is a great city in the Summer. Pretty darn cold in Winter.

The old port downtown area is fantastic, but like this week with 18 inches of snow, those little streets and sidewalks will be impassible.

If you are staying at one of the nicer hotels, they may be doing a NY Eve celebration in the hotel. It's cold enough that local's book a night's lodging at the hotel and then check-in, celebrate the new year, go to the hotel room and check out the next day.

I was lucky enough to get stuck in a Doubletree one new years (not PWM) and it was pretty nice although I did get some strange looks when I asked for a coke and turned down the champagne.

If you are staying at the Doubletree or the Hilton Garden (near airport hotels), there is a little mom & pop italian/seafood place just west of the 'tree called Espisito's (might have miss-spelled it).

Anyway, the van drivers know it well. Not fancy, old local hang out, but good food and cheap. Good lobstah, stuffed fish and pasta dishes, cheap beer. If you can't make it downtown or want to eat cheap, I highly recommend it.

domillos sucks arse if your going for seafood. Right down the road is a real dive called Boones but it's cheap good lobster instead of overpriced old people on a floating ship.

3 dollar deweys will have a wicked party. Head up the street uphil and you will notice how many parties are going on.

I've spent a few new years in portland and have not remembered quite a few of them. Just remember to wear a jacket and don't pass out in a snow bank. They will plow you in.

PM me if you want to find some real places in pwm to go to.

Boones rocks! (literaly, it's on a dock that creaks & sways with the tide). Looks like a real dive, complete with a patch eyed parrot perch Capt Ahab swilling booze at the bar, but the food is soooo much better that Dimillos and half the price. A must go place in PWM for "local flavor"...

As Dashboy said in his post (seperate thread) Street & Co. and Fore Street are very good (used to be, and may still be, the same owner for both). Costs $$$ at both but quality matches the price. DiMillos is a tourist haven: it's an old boat or barge that's converted into a restaurant. Service was typically tourist-trap poor the only time I was there, but it's a nice setting anyway. Old Port Tavern (?) (could be Pub) has bands some nights and, from what I remember, a decent selection of brews.

Latest resources

Back