Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Off-time jobs

What are your non-aviation quals?

I've heard of pilots who are substitute teachers. I can't quite believe this myself, but I have heard that you don't necessarily need a degree in ed to be a substitute teacher in some school systems. I had students at Mesa nine years ago who were substitute teachers in the Farmington, New Mexico school system. It blew my mind when at least one told me he didn't have a bachelor's degree. And, they were not CFIs, either.

There was a poster on the old board last summer who was a practical nurse before he became a pilot. Granted, that would require training if you're not an L.P.N. already. I just throw it out as food for thought.

Depending on your skills, maybe you can temp in offices. Temping can pay alright money and maybe provide benefits, too.

Just a couple of ideas that I hope will help.

Substitue teaching is the SHIZZIT...

Subsituting is where it's AT!! Here's the deal, you typically have to pay a $25 processing fee to the school board after you fill out your application(which is very simple). Your substituing agreement is only good for 1 semester, so every semester, you must renew by paying $25. All you have to have to qualify is to have completed at least 2 years of college, so all you degree guys are set. On the application, you put down the classes you would like to teach PE, MATH, and if they need you, they will call you. What's nice is, if you will substitute anything, they will practically call you EVERYDAY, and if you have a day off, then come in, if not, say no. They typically pay $75 a day, and all you do all day is read PLAYBOY stuck in your FLIGHT TRAINING magazine. You never teach, just hand out assignments, or show a video, nothing exciting. If your an over-achiever, teach them a little something about flying, you will quickly become known as the "laid-backl" substitue. They have professional subs who, if they have a degree or something in the class they're teaching, will teach, but you really NEVER have to. It's cake, I'm starting a cargo job soon, and if I don't get a job flying pipeline during the day, I'm going back to substituting.

Work at night

I have a cush job at night answering the phones and basically keeping the lights on so the outfit can call themselves a 24 hr business.

I contract fly for people during the day while I'm on furlough.

I sleep... well I guess I get to sleep at home sometimes but usually its at work or at some airport FBO.

I have no life... so come to think of it don't listen to any of my suggestions!

By the way Cornelius, I miss your old avatar. The dude with the Marlboro is just not the same.

probablecause

Last edited:
I'm gonna apply to the hockey rink in Fort Collins, and with any luck they need a Zamboni driver. I did that awhile back and its pretty fun. Is there any rule against drinking before driving the zamboni. It only has a rotating 8 ft stainless steel blade on the bottom so I couldn't get myself in too much trouble.

Substitute teaching isn't for me, but sometype of offfice temp job sounds like it might be all right.

C-ya

Latest resources

Back