Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Poop? How about a known killer on board?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's a chilling story, and a total cluster-#$%^ by Continental. I can only hope that the Flight Crew was not informed of the gravity of the situation. Because if they were and still chose to continue their course....it really doesn't get any worse.

I strongly disagree, and agree with CO's actions. This guy was perfectly content, thinking he was home free. Let him continue to think that until he's off the plane. Raise his suspicions by turning the plane around, and who knows? Then he might start feeling real trapped, and real suicidal...

I agree with skyboy. If he thinks he is free and gone, he probably would not try anything. If you turn around he would suspect something and realize he might be caught and dry a desperate act of some sort

"Costs can vary considerably," says Smith, "The fuel costs [dumping, subsequent refueling, plus the fuel used for the diversion arrival and departure] are only part of it, though certainly the largest part. You would probably have to replace all or most of the crew due to duty time constraints, the effects of which would trickle through the carrier's scheduling matrix.

The crew would not have been replaced. They would have just been subjected to a 30 hour duty day instead of the 24 hours they were already scheduled to pull.

Adding a divert to a 16 hour flight with two hours of prep on the front side with a one hour bus ride on the back after commuting in from the west coast is enough to make me want to land at the destination with a calm sleeping criminal.

On a regional flight, well thats another story.

Mary Schiavo respected? Not by anybody in this business.

Bad deal all around but Skyboy is right. Airplane turns around, maybe more people get hurt.

What does the law say? I'm betting it says the flight may continue.

Some of you folks get real po'd when government bailout money to the airlines is mentioned. All the government had to do was pay for the gas... And they didn't offer to do it.

Want it to turn out differently? Change the law.

All the government had to do was pay for the gas... And they didn't offer to do it.

Yes they did. Check the article again:

The ACTIC liaison told Palombo he had spoken to someone at Continental, and that airline brass were wondering who was going to pay for refueling Flight 82 if the pilot dumped thousands of gallons of fuel to ensure a safe landing.

"I was, 'You've got to be kidding me,'" the sergeant says. "He said he wasn't . . . I estimated that it might be 10 or 15 grand, something like that."
Palombo told the liaison he couldn't authorize that size of an expenditure, but, within minutes, he got the go-ahead from Assistant Police Chief Kevin Robinson.

"By now, the FBI, TSA and the FAA had become involved, and everyone was getting frustrated," Palombo says. "At this point, I'm in the mode of, `Just land the freaking plane! We promise to pay for it, okay?'"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back