Polar QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyhard

I have done the search on Polar Qol issues and am not finding much. I do have a good feel for the Atlas side.

Was wondering

days at home?
commuting?
average length of trips?
any other info that pertains to QOL?

Thanks in advance

Was wondering the same thing.....What are the answers for the Atlas side? I have found very little on either one.

I have been with Polar Air Cargo as a F/E for 5 years plus and it depends pn what you want in a job.
Polar's contract is heavy on the quality of life side. The maximum working days are 16/month, but you can work longer if you wish and that would give you some pretty hefty incomes due to our CBA. The patterns are generally 16 days but you can get two patterns in one month. So the road warrior battles are at a minimum. We are in the CASS program and that does help commuting. One of the more onerous items is the fact that we do have 30 and 60 day bids lines, including the reserve lines. Personally it does not bother me but it might some.
As far as pay, we do not make the same as Atlas, but they work a lot more than we do in order to get it. Hence, it depends on what you want in a job. I like the time off. And if you do work on your days off you can make some serious money, even on probation.
But the best part about Polar is the people. We have a great cheif pilot in Chris Agnini and D.O. Joe Masone, and all the others, much to many to mention in this forum. We are a fun group, which is why we don't lose a lot of people. We fly some interesting places and good MEC representation with ALPA.

Fuzzy,

Thanks for the reply. So you can break the the 16 up into two eights if I am understanding you correctly?

You can't break it up. It is how the lines are constructed. The CBA spells it out, you just bid. But if it is QOL you are looking for you cannot get much better than Polar

And for UAL your questions about Atlas, they do not seem like happy campers with their QOL, but that is just what ia hear from some of the crews. They really would like what we have and keep their pay.
By the way, I am in Sweden with a 7 day layover; now that's a paid vacation in my book. Try that with anyone else, although it doesn't happen here too often. I got a great bid.

I think what Flyhard might be asking is: can you ever get a line where the days are broken up in to chunks of less than 16 days in a row. From what I understand there are reserve (and regular) bid lines that have you work the first 8 days of the month and the last 8 days of the month, etc...If that is the sort of thing you want to do.

From what I understand, Polar is the best kept secret in the industry. I would love to hear from some Atlas guys about how their QOL is.

On another note, Polar is working on getting their contract renewed. It is 2 years past due. They were conducting picketing last week, and are heading towards a strike vote in the near future. I just want to say: "HANG TIGHT, AND GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!! AND STAY TOGETHER!!!"

It is about time a pilot group stands up and fights for what is right, as opposed to everyone taking 20-30% paycuts without even putting up a fight. I think Polar will be the first group to stand up for what they deserve since 9/11...maybe they will start a new trend and get this profession back on it's feet!

Last edited:
As far as lines, it would be hard to say. This month there were quite a few, next month well......

Polar is the best kept secret in the industry, but Atlas is trying hard to change that. Fortunately we have a good Cheif Pilot and D.O., a really hard working MEC, and a great bunch on the line. So far we have kept the finger in the dyke.

A 7 day layover in Sweden ?!!!!! Sign me up !

Are most layovers 1 or 2 days ?

How's Reserve in JFK/STN ? Do Reserves fly or sit around in the crash pad ?

Wht's the time to Upgrade, & is it different for ATLAS & POLAR ?

320AV8R

Latest resources

Back