Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V-STALL

The Resourcer!
Planes wait while controller takes potty break (CNN, April 12)
The public standoff continues between air traffic controllers and the FAA—the media is now focusing on a report that two airliners had to circle for 18 minutes on Friday while the lone Manchester, New Hampshire air traffic controller took a 12 minute bathroom break. The union cites the incident as evidence that air traffic control facilities remain understaffed. "There should never be one person in the tower, because it's not safe," said Doug Church, spokesman for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association. "It's just added proof that the system is stretched to its limits, and these are the type of things that are happening." An FAA spokesman said staffing was sufficient. The union says controllers are often forced to work overtime, contributing to fatigue, which results in safety lapses.
http://tinyurl.com/3exgjx

If there was no ATC for awhile would that not make it a uncontrolled field and then you just make position reports on CTAF and land? How is it any diffrent than when they close for the night? Also I wonder if the ATIS was updated as a special "Tower closed for a piss break! Expected reopening 15 minutes!" Obviously its a ATC tactic to say they don't have proper staffing in place. A good one at that!

Sorry about that, I was on the land line

Latest resources

Back