Please vote NO on S.65!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
I would be a fool to think that sometime over the next 21 years the age restriction will not be increased. We might as well just get it over with.

I agree, however, I think a gradual phase-in of allowing over 60 pilots (to a position other than pilot in command) to continue flying. ... say, increase retirement age by 1 month/quarter. A 5 year age increase would occur gradually over 20 years. Hell, make it 67; just take 28 years to get there.

batsky2000 said:
Sorry, I thought that most people knew or could figure that out, you must be the 1% that could not figure that out, Heavy Iron in the corporate world or 135 world are aircraft like Gulfstreams,Global Express,BBJ(Boeing Business Jet,aka B737-700),etc. they don't hold 600+, but they have ranges that go from 4800 NM to almost 7000 NM, there are pilots who are in their 70's flying these all over the world, we fly into places so remote that the airlines would never ever consider them places, and fly into high terrain airports all of the time, so if you are worried about a 65 year old pilot flying from New York to London and back, think about the 70 year old flying a $50 mil. airplane into a high mountain airport down to minimums with no problems, all I can say is that I have seen guys in their 40's and 50's that need to retire let alone some pilots that are 65

Kinda like the Gulfstream that was supposed to take former president bush from IAH to somewhere in South America, piloted by two over age 60 pilots?

Andy said:
Kinda like the Gulfstream that was supposed to take former president bush from IAH to somewhere in South America, piloted by two over age 60 pilots?

Andy, have you read this accident report? I have not seen it but apparently you have so please share your sources with us.

Andy said:
This'll get you started:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3090875.html

Edited to add: The final NTSB report probably won't be out until next summer; it usually takes 18 months for it to be released.

Andy from your profile one would assume that you are a pretty accomplished pilot. I cannot believe that you would hang your reasoning for this accident on a newspaper report. The cause is yet to be determined. The fact that both of the pilots were well over 60 may or may not have had anything to do with the cause. No more than saying that some accident with a couple of 30 or 40 year olds was caused by their age. I think there is ample documentation that would counter the age factor but I would not want to get into it at this juncture, but rather let the NTSB sort out the cause and other factors.

BTW.......are you still furlouged? With your profile I would have thought you could find something pretty decent out there.

I just scanned the website of congress and read the bill and looked for ammendments. As far as I could tell, there are no ammendments to the proposed bill in either house. Interestingly enough, there is a bill HR65 on the back burner that pretty much mirrors the language in S65. That language is posted above and from what I can tell hasn't changed.

This info is from the ALPA website which explains briefly the effect of the Senate bill and its estimated implementation date.

UPDATE, November 19 -- In an unrecorded voice vote on November 17, the Senate Commerce Committee approved legislation designed to establish an upper age limit of 65 in multi-crew operations. It would become effective within 30 days after the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) adopts this standard, which is likely to take place in November 2006.
Under this legislation, a pilot could fly to 65 in operations under Part 121 of Title 14 only as a required pilot in multi-crew aircraft operations, and only when another pilot serving as a required pilot has not yet attained his or her 60th birthday. This legislation would allow a pilot who is retired and between the ages of 60 and 65 to be re-hired, but it would not allow him or her to sue to gain re-employment. The legislation would not provide the basis for a claim of seniority under any labor agreement and a pilot could not sue to regain seniority. The legal foundations for these provisions are unclear, however. Twenty-four months after the legislation is implemented, the National Transportation Safety Board would be required to submit a report to the Senate Commerce Committee concerning the effect of this change on aviation safety.
This legislation now awaits consideration and a vote on the floor of the U.S. Senate, which is unlikely to take place until the first half of 2006. No hearings or votes on the upper age limit in the U.S. House of Representatives have been held during 2005. ALPA will continue to keep you updated on this website as this issue develops.

END OF ALPA info.

As has been stated however, the language of the bill ties the retirement age to the start of SS benefits, so for folks born in 1960 or later the upper age limit would be at least 67. The actual bill says nothing about ICAO standards or the need for a yonger than 60 pilot to offset the older pilot, but the ALPA info mentions these.

FJ

Last edited:
BTW: Spooky: Nice, class act you are.

With your profile I wouldn't have thought you would be such a big dbag.

FJ

Falconjet said:
I just scanned the website of congress and read the bill and looked for ammendments. As far as I could tell, there are no ammendments to the proposed bill in either house. Interestingly enough, there is a bill HR65 on the back burner that pretty much mirrors the language in S65. That language is posted above and from what I can tell hasn't changed.

This info is from the ALPA website which explains briefly the effect of the Senate bill and its estimated implementation date.

UPDATE, November 19 -- In an unrecorded voice vote on November 17, the Senate Commerce Committee approved legislation designed to establish an upper age limit of 65 in multi-crew operations. It would become effective within 30 days after the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) adopts this standard, which is likely to take place in November 2006.
Under this legislation, a pilot could fly to 65 in operations under Part 121 of Title 14 only as a required pilot in multi-crew aircraft operations, and only when another pilot serving as a required pilot has not yet attained his or her 60th birthday. This legislation would allow a pilot who is retired and between the ages of 60 and 65 to be re-hired, but it would not allow him or her to sue to gain re-employment. The legislation would not provide the basis for a claim of seniority under any labor agreement and a pilot could not sue to regain seniority. The legal foundations for these provisions are unclear, however. Twenty-four months after the legislation is implemented, the National Transportation Safety Board would be required to submit a report to the Senate Commerce Committee concerning the effect of this change on aviation safety.
This legislation now awaits consideration and a vote on the floor of the U.S. Senate, which is unlikely to take place until the first half of 2006. No hearings or votes on the upper age limit in the U.S. House of Representatives have been held during 2005. ALPA will continue to keep you updated on this website as this issue develops.

END OF ALPA info.

As has been stated however, the language of the bill ties the retirement age to the start of SS benefits, so for folks born in 1960 or later the upper age limit would be at least 67. The actual bill says nothing about ICAO standards or the need for a yonger than 60 pilot to offset the older pilot, but the ALPA info mentions these.

FJ

US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation

I'm finished babysitting the younger generation tonight. Sorry to say they have the same problem in the cockpit. Guess I have to chalk that off to experience, or age.:) or lack of?

Falconjet said:
BTW: Spooky: Nice, class act you are.

With your profile I wouldn't have thought you would be such a big dbag.

FJ

Hey Falcon Jet, maybe you could share with the rest of the Flight Hangar membership the ages of the following MD11 crewmembers:

EWR: Total airframe loss.
Manila: (or where ever your sorting ops are): Total airframe loss.

The last six trail strikes in the MD11.

Standing by for your prompt, no BS reply. All of us wnat to know about the age problems at your operation and how they may effect your MD11 ops. Come on, just the ages of the Capt.s.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back