Please Help A young pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyin Tony

Hello everyone, I need everyones best advise. Im 17 have my IFR ticket and around 150 hours. And I have yet to go get my drivers license. My Dad just bought a Piper Comanche for me to hull him to and from work and to go on weekend trips. I would like to fly for FedEx in the long run ( have a friends dad that flys for them and sounds like a good place to fly). What is the best way for me to get there by the time im 22-23 years old? I will be a CFII and have 2 places that will get me on there line already. But the problem is multi time. I hear such neg on PFT from the pilots on this ng. So I dont think I want to go the route, Unless I have to. I have talk to a pilot from Amerflight and said that PFT might be the way to go and just buy 100hr of multi time. So if anyone can help me please do, I love flying and will do it tell the day I die. Thanks All

I think that working for FedEX by the time you're 22-23 might be a little far fetched. I'd say that the more PIC multi time that you can pick up the better. There is a huge market of furloughed pilots with thousands of PIC turbine time as well as military pilots who have thousands of hours too that might beat you to the punch at FedEx. If I were you, think small and try to pick up as many hours and as many ratings as you possibly could before you have to start paying for them yourself. Multi time is not going to be cheap. If you can get your CFI and MEI tickets early (18yrs. old), you could make it to a regional at an early age (21 or so). Also, remember to get a college degree...the chances of an airline or operator like FedEx hiring someone without a degree is slim to none these days. Good luck...

Get your CFI's ASAP, and work at learning from the right seat.

You will want to be both intelligent and articulate. Work on grammar and sentence structure, since a cover letter may be the first impression that you make, and the most remembered.

It took me tell 29 to get on at UPS, and I was lucky. Why do you think you'll make Fedex at 22 or 23? You need to think about a degree, too. What will 100 hours of multi time do for you? Think you'll be a shoe in, then?

Getting your CFI is a great idea (as is not doing PFT). I know when you're 17, five years seems like a long time. But you need to lower your goals a bit to a CFI, degree, and an entry level job, and no debt at 22-23. Maybe Fedex when you're 30. In the major airline biz, 30 ain't that old.

de727ups has the best idea so far:
get your degree, the major isn't as important as completing it... and remember anyone can be a nerd and go the aviation degree route, but can you deal with people?? consider some of the soft skills degrees, sociology, psychology, or a money degree as a backup, computer science, business, etc.

good luck to you, get your CFI ratings, and start building time, multi time will come in time...
ds

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the info. I talked to my friends dad and he said the same thing as all you guys did. He said Ameriflight would be a good setpping stone to get to FedEx. And the youngest new hire at FedEx was 25, that he knew about. But you need 1000 hrs of jet time. And I could be at Ameriflight till im 30 before I get to fly the Lears they got, which would be no problem. But I need to think head and go for that all imporant 250 hours and start with all the ratings. I think I could be a CFI till im 21 and start looking into Ameriflight or some outher 135 job.

Thanks everyone for your info

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back