• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Places to stay during Alaska training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
to be fair, $450 in 1959, adjusted for GDP, is equal to more than $3000 a month today. As a new hire back then, things were rosier...at least as pay was concerned. Today, United airlines pays new hires less than $2000 dollars a month...Much less 48 years later. Pathetic.

Yes, your point is well taken. But that was my point also. In 1959, motel rooms were about $10 to $15 a night. Thirty nights in a motel would pretty well eat up the entire month's pay.
How did we make it? All 8 of us in the new-hire class rented one large room with extra cots and beds. That cut costs to a few dollars a night. Thirty years later I retired off the 747-400. A little inconvenience in ground school was an investment in the future.
Who knows what a new hire at United will eventually fly. That is the rest of my point.

Thirty years later I retired off the 747-400. A little inconvenience in ground school was an investment in the future.

yeah, well maybe if your generation would have "inconvenienced" your selves alittle better when it came to outsourcing all this flying then maybe we could have the opportunities you had - but I guess not. Thanks

Latest resources

Back