Places to live in the Atlanta area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
West Cobb is best!

I have been in the West Cobb area of Atlanta since the military moved me here in 96'. It is great but growing fast. The housing prices are steadily rising but there are plenty of nice homes in whatever price range you are willing to spend.
Most of the newer subdivision are "swim - tennis" neighborhoods with protective covenants that can help keep your neighbor from opening a diesel truck repair shop next door to you. Those same covenants also do not allow you to let your house or yard fall down or go to seed so you have to do your part.
West Cobb, which includes the Marietta, Powder Springs, Kennesaw Acworth area, is growing quickly and is prized for some of the best schools in Georgia. Notice to all that I did not say they were the best, after all, it is government education. But with the new subdivisions come new schools, new business' and plenty of resturants.
East Cobb is beautiful, crowded, overpriced and the place to be if you care about what other people think of your address. (Sorry General!)
My current house sold in the mid $250's five years ago and now is worth over $325k. Not a bad return on investment money. It takes me between 35 - 55 minutes to get to ATL going the back way down Hwy 278 which runs right into Hartsfield Atlanta Airport. It all depends on the day and time of day you are going. It is still not bad since I only do it four times a month. There are two other pilots in my neighborhood that agree we live as close to ATL as we need to but also far enough away that we still consider it the "country".
Douglasville and Hiram are in different counties but both offer nice housing, fair schools and a good price for value.
Best of luck on your decision.......

What?

ultrapilot said:
I have been in the West Cobb area of Atlanta since the military moved me here in 96'. It is great but growing fast. The housing prices are steadily rising but there are plenty of nice homes in whatever price range you are willing to spend.
Most of the newer subdivision are "swim - tennis" neighborhoods with protective covenants that can help keep your neighbor from opening a diesel truck repair shop next door to you. Those same covenants also do not allow you to let your house or yard fall down or go to seed so you have to do your part.
West Cobb, which includes the Marietta, Powder Springs, Kennesaw Acworth area, is growing quickly and is prized for some of the best schools in Georgia. Notice to all that I did not say they were the best, after all, it is government education. But with the new subdivisions come new schools, new business' and plenty of resturants.
East Cobb is beautiful, crowded, overpriced and the place to be if you care about what other people think of your address. (Sorry General!)
My current house sold in the mid $250's five years ago and now is worth over $325k. Not a bad return on investment money. It takes me between 35 - 55 minutes to get to ATL going the back way down Hwy 278 which runs right into Hartsfield Atlanta Airport. It all depends on the day and time of day you are going. It is still not bad since I only do it four times a month. There are two other pilots in my neighborhood that agree we live as close to ATL as we need to but also far enough away that we still consider it the "country".
Douglasville and Hiram are in different counties but both offer nice housing, fair schools and a good price for value.
Best of luck on your decision.......

Ross and I want to know what you have against diesel repair shops? We are planning to open one right across the street from your West Cobb crib. And don't try to relocate to Brookstone with us. We have covenants prohibiting Texans. Yep, you guessed it. I moved down the hall and now I have too much time on my hands. CT and RT

There are many area's in Metro Atlanta that are great places to live. Pretty much everyone hit the best areas. One thing to look at is the elementary school districts...(if your kids are that young). Roswell, voted in the top 20 best towns to live in anually has several elementary schools. Mountain Park is the best hands down. Some of the others aren't all that great. Funny part about this is, the most expensive area of Roswell is "Country Club of the South" and it is not in the Mountain Park district.

My point being, do some research. Most of the replies have been pretty accurate, but you will want to do some of your own research.

CT and RT

Ross and I want to know what you have against diesel repair shops? We are planning to open one right across the street from your West Cobb crib. And don't try to relocate to Brookstone with us. We have covenants prohibiting Texans. Yep, you guessed it. I moved down the hall and now I have too much time on my hands. CT and RT

Brookstone... are you kidding. You can get lost in a place that big. Brookstone, for those of you that don't know ATL, is a HUGE planned community in the West Cobb area. When you say "Brookstone" you have to say which numbered section (1, 2, 3, 4,,,,, I think they are up to about 40 sections now) you live in. Plus you have to pay big bucks like CT to become a MEMBER of the golf course, tennis, pool, etc.... I hope you did not talk RT into paying that kind of money just so you would have someone to play with you.

Did you move down the hall so that you would not have to make a trip to the "sandbox" to play with the ultimate sand wedge?

Since this is the "aviation interview board" page I will ask you if you have your app into SWA yet? AT? JB? Don't tell me CT and RT and going to fly those little white things until you turn 60!

Latest resources

Back