Places to live in the Atlanta area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RadioClash

Where are some nice areas in the Atlanta area to live? Looking for good schools for the kids, a place where they are safe to play in the front yard, reasonable housing prices, etc. I am only familiar with the area around the airport. Would like to live on the north side. Some people have mentioned Marietta, Acworth, Woodstock. I have been told that Cobb county has the best schools in the state?

Any help is appreciated. My commute is getting to be pretty difficult so I think it is time to move.

Thanks in advance.

I'm new to the ATL but I'm staying with some friends in Smyrna and it's very nice. People ususally like Smyrna, Vinings, Peachtree City, or Newnan just to name the bigger/more well known names.

If you like a quiet neighborhood that is affordable and reasonably close to ATL then try the Newnan, Tyrone, Peachtree City area. It is infested with DAL, and ASA pilots since its as close as you can get to the airport and be in a residential area...not the hood or downtown. Smyrna, Vinnings is nice too but if you want to buy its more expensive and not as kid friendly. Smyrna/Vinnings is the perfect place if you are single or just married...no kids. Marrietta is good too but now you are getting far from the airport...but lots of guys live there too.

I Live in Villa Rica. It is the next town past Douglasville. D-ville is nice and has everything you need. It is very affordable. Villa Rica is small town America. Low cost of living, decent schools and low taxes. Lots of growth here all of the sudden though! 35 miles to KATL

East Cobb

East Cobb county schools are supposed to be good and it seems like a real nice area. I am currently in North Cobb on the Kennesaw/Acworth border and it's pretty decent up there too. The traffic north of Atlanta is a lot worse than going south. Cobb county has (or at least had last year) the longest average commute time. It's not bad if you are only doing it a few times a month, but if you have a 9-5 it would be rough. I would throw a vote in for Marietta if I had to do it again. There is a neighborhood in Kennesaw called Legacy Park that I would check out. A big wooded green area with lots of trails and paths, pools, tennis courts, baseball field. Lots of events going on for families. If you are single I would second the Vinings area.

flyhigh2610 said:
If you like a quiet neighborhood that is affordable and reasonably close to ATL then try the Newnan, Tyrone, Peachtree City area. It is infested with DAL, and ASA pilots since its as close as you can get to the airport and be in a residential area...not the hood or downtown. Smyrna, Vinnings is nice too but if you want to buy its more expensive and not as kid friendly. Smyrna/Vinnings is the perfect place if you are single or just married...no kids. Marrietta is good too but now you are getting far from the airport...but lots of guys live there too.

Flyhigh pretty much nailed it on the head. When I first moved to ATL I lived in Peachtree City. Very nice, quiet & safe town. I think it was voted one of the top ten places to live in the USA (#8 I think). We moved away because it was too quiet - but would certainly moving back if/when we start to have kids.

Currently live in Smyrna. Just outside the I285 perimeter. A bit more expensive but the area is growing fast with lots of new developments and places to eat/shop, etc. 20 minutes to downtown, buckhead, north perimeter area. Very well located. Also about 20 minutes to the airport and virtually no stop and go rush hour traffic. I love living in Smyrna.

Decatur/Virginia Highlands might be a good place to live inside the perimeter (ITP) if you're more of the upscale sort who wants to live in a nice, trendy part of town truly inside the city. Buckhead and Midtown also would fit this description but are a bit more urban still (both are directly on Peachtree Street). Home prices adjust accordingly.

East Point and College Park areas are right close to Hartsfield. Still a bit sketchy but might be worth a look if you wish to buy a property in a neighbourhood close to the airport that's likely to see more gentrification/ improvement in coming years.

If you're willing to consider the south side, then there are plenty of good places. If schools are your top priority, then Fayetteville or Peachtree City would be your best bet. Fayette County schools are hard to beat. If you are more concerned with getting a good deal on the house, then I would recommend Newnan or Senoia. I'm looking at houses in Senoia right now, and you can get a great deal in an extremely nice neighborhood. A house that would cost $500k in PTC can be had for less than half that in Senoia. The houses in Newnan are similarly priced, but the traffic in Newnan is just getting to be unbearable in my opinion.

I live on the North side, near Alpharetta, and the traffic suks. But, that isn't the case all of the time, as long as your duty in isn't during rush hour.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Marietta is where its at bro. 40 minutes to the ATL...Reasonable taxes...great schools...Just whatever you do stay away from the 75North/285 interchange. I get on 285 just south of Atlanta road and its clear sailing...unless you like afternoon trips then the I20 West traffic backs up in that area.
RV

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back