• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Places to live in the Atlanta area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I lived there for about a year in 98-99. All true about the family vs. single stuff. If you have kids a little out will be better for you.

Up north you can get a lake house with a dock for $350-$450,000. I think it would be about 1 to 2 hour drive. Do a google search around the Cartersville area if you are in to affordable lake houses.

PeachTree city is great for family.

Good luck.

I'm also from Alpharetta/Roswell area. By far the best area in Atlanta. The best schools, the best class of people to be around on a daily basis, the best shopping and eateries in the metro area, want be to keep going? I have lived on the southside before Newnan/Fayetteville, Coweta County, PTC, etc does not compare to the northside. If you want cheap checkout the the southside. If you want a very nice area to live checkout the northside.

Do yourself a favor and commute to Atlanta. It is strip mall hell. Unless you now live in a New York City slum, you will hate Atlanta. And if you have kids, do not subject them to the worst educational system in the country.

airline#5 said:
Do yourself a favor and commute to Atlanta. It is strip mall hell. Unless you now live in a New York City slum, you will hate Atlanta. And if you have kids, do not subject them to the worst educational system in the country.

Do you mean worst 'education system' in the country there chief?

Everyone has pretty much hit the nails on their proverbial heads. Having grown up in Atlanta, (Riverdale, actually before it was Ghettodale) there are a lot of places that would be good for both the single and family types.

If you're single and want a really QUICK commute to ATL, then I would suggest living in Riverdale in the area between Riverdale Rd. and Hwy. 314. There are some new developments that are nice and the drive to the airport is only about 5-10 minutes on a bad day. My parents still live in that area and it's still nice and quiet and not ghetto like the other side of R-dale. Good shopping in North Fayette only 15 minutes away.

For families, I would reccommend Peachtree City/South Fayette County. Very good schools in this area, (Mcintosh, FCHS, Sandy Creek, etc.) Commute is about 30-45 minutes tops.

Even though it's nice, I would stay away from Henry County due to all of the congestion from having 20 years of growth crammed into the time span of 5 years. There is, however, a uber-nice new development called Heron Bay in south Henry that would be about an hour drive to the airport due to traffic. It's super nice and have homes from about 200k all the way up to 1 mil+.

The Newnan/Sharpsburg area is nice and about a 45 minute drive to ATL. This is actually the area my parents will move to if they decide not to retire to FL.

I'm not as familiar with the north side of town these days, but when I left, Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, and Cobb Co. in general were nice. Horrible traffic, but nice nonetheless. Also, Gwinnett Co. north of Norcross (around Discover Mills) was getting nice. My brother-in-law just bought a place in Canton and loves it.

Alpharetta is a fantastic place for families. Lots of parks, playgrounds, and a very wide variety of dining and recreational opportunities. I moved my family here from our home (where both my wife and I grew up) in Tampa, and we hope to stay. If you want to research schools, the Atlanta Journal Constitution has a book for sale on it's web site that reviews > 750 schools in the metro area. The cost is around $25, but is worth it.

matchthehatch said:
Alpharetta is a fantastic place for families. Lots of parks, playgrounds, and a very wide variety of dining and recreational opportunities. I moved my family here from our home (where both my wife and I grew up) in Tampa, and we hope to stay. If you want to research schools, the Atlanta Journal Constitution has a book for sale on it's web site that reviews > 750 schools in the metro area. The cost is around $25, but is worth it.

Ditto, born and raised on the north side. Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell and Alpharetta are great places with excellent schools. East Cobb is great if you are in the Walton school district. Peachtree City has great schools but, I would never live there. Resale is much better on the north side as well.

Having grown up in East Cobb, I can say it's excellent even if it's not the Walton high district. 12 High schools I believe in Cobb and most are very good. Area is great also....plenty of stuff to do....About 45 min with no traffic

Vinings/Smyrna area is a nice area as well that's north of the city....a quick 20 min drive....numerous condo's, townehomes, etc....

Citrus531 said:
Having grown up in East Cobb, I can say it's excellent even if it's not the Walton high district. 12 High schools I believe in Cobb and most are very good. Area is great also....plenty of stuff to do....About 45 min with no traffic

Vinings/Smyrna area is a nice area as well that's north of the city....a quick 20 min drive....numerous condo's, townehomes, etc....

Vinings/Smyrna is great but the schools stink! Lovett is the only good school and I believe it costs around 14k a year. My vote is Alpharetta.

Latest resources

Back