• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Places to fly-in and eat in FL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At VRB, CJ Cannons is a good place for high-end airport food (Not gourmet, but not crap).....the place in Okeechobee is pretty good......Sebring has awesome airport food....St. Augustine is pretty good......they sell buckets of beer for those who want to spend the night, and the restaraunt is up on top of the terminal looking down onto the ramp......The Outer Marker at TIX is always a favorite....I think you get a discount on gas if you go eat there.....The rib joint near APF is really good...just ask the folks at the GA terminal to give you a ride....or you can walk, it's about 3/4 of a mile....DAB is always a good flight, and all the FBO's on the field have 2 or 3 courtesy cars they'll let you borrow (Hooter's is close, results may vary)...

Don't forget Lakeland (LAL), which has a very nice restaurant overlooking the airport.

Also, the best place I have found is in Marathon (MTH), just half way in between Key West and Miami.

Take a cab and apprx. 2 miles towards Miami on the left side, you find an excellent Tiki Restaurant, right on the water. Great Seafood with very reasonable prices.

I second SPG, Albert Whitted in St. Petersburg. I never forget the thunderstorm over PIE, my basefield, that covered the whole airport on a trip back. So I just landed at SPG, called my boss that I will come in after the wheather has cleared, and WALKED to the movies, just 10 Minutes away. It is called Baywalk, entertainment district just like in Ft. Lauderdale. SPG, probably the best airport in Florida right next to the city.

Key West is great, but EXPENSIVE. A ride to the city will set you back 8 bucks per person, and that is one way. I once rented a car for 20 bucks for the whole evening, where it would have cost us 64 US$ for the 4 of us, just ridiculous.

Though, there is a good restaurant right on the field next to the terminal.

Crystal River airport, about 50 NM to the north of PIE, is surrounded by nice scenery, also has 2 restaurants withing walking distance.

At an uncontrolled airfield right south of Naples, they will get you a car for 2 hours free of charge, if you get fuel there. Great deal, I would say. Also, Page field in Fort Myers gets you a courtesy car that I used many times to get to the Hooters there.

The most expensive restaurant trip was, when I flew with a customer into Miami international. Parking at Signature, it is just a hop over the street where a Sushi Place and many cuban restaurants can be found. But Signature charged us a whopping $92 for landing and parking fees. At least my cuban dinner was only 5 bucks, LOL.

One of the most exciting places to fly in must be John Travolta's Private Airport, just a little North/East of Ocala. Being Private, they allow anyone to land there on the 1st Sunday of the month, where brunch can be had. I flew over the airport a couple of times, but never made it to the brunch.

I used to take my students to Daytona Beach, where they have a cool courtesy car to go to an Outback Steakhouse or many other restaurants, but they started to charge 12 bucks (??) for parking fees since 911.

Melbourne also gives you a car, but a little tricky to find restaurants there.

Sarasota well worth a trip, where the Ringlings Museum is very close by.

While very expensive, Chalet Suzanne near Lake Wales is a unique experience. Great place to fly into, have dinner, and spend the night.

Another high end romantic place right on the Atlantic is the Hideaway cafe just north of Marathon around MM 57 somewhere. Riverbend Resort is the bigger sign out front. Small dining area, but really delighful place.

Fly_Chick said:
... nice place to go with the girlfriend. Can be very romantic. ... free petting zoo ...

Fly_Chick said:
... have her accompany you and your instructor.
Yanno, Fly Chick, you're makin' me wonder about you a bit. On the one hand, you suggest romance and petting, and in the next post you suggest bringing the instructor along. Is there something you're trying to tell us here?

:)

TonyC said:
Yanno, Fly Chick, you're makin' me wonder about you a bit. On the one hand, you suggest romance and petting, and in the next post you suggest bringing the instructor along. Is there something you're trying to tell us here?

:).

TonyC, you got me laughing. They were two "separate" posts.

KDED has an on airport bar/restaraunt - the gin mill I think it's called. They have the best burgers (all the way, no tomato).

Cash only...

You definitely should go to SPG, Albert Whitted. The FBO there, Bay Air, will give you a ride to and from the pier (about 1 mile). There are many shops and even an aquarium museum in there. There are also some restaurants, of which my favorite is the Columbia (I think its on the third floor). Get a table that over looks the water of the bay. Its very nice.

Latest resources

Back